Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
EYY in Tas we don't have price cycling that the mainland does. Gas has been $1 or more a litre for over 4 years, 91 is $1.53 and hasn't changed for three weeks. Mixer systems are far less economical than injected systems as you know.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had a TB ring converter system. It was great for close to 6 years then the problems started. When I moved over to Tas 7 years ago gas was around 80c a litre. Even back then the saving on a 200km round trip was less than $10. These days it's around the same price per 200km. With the cost of stamping the tank every 10 years, plus $120 every 12 months servicing the converter, it's no longer economical to run gas in Tas.
Taxis no longer run gas in Tas. Even finding a place that sells it is getting hard unless your in a major centre. Head up the East Coast, after leaving Launceston and only one servo has gas. You can drive 300km and not find anywhere to buy LPG.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Converters generally go for many years without needing replacement. It may not be economically worth it to go ahead with a conversion these days, but I still wouldn't go to the effort and cost of having it removed. Just what I'd do personally.

Past fuel prices aren't a very good indicator of future prices. LPG was 85cpl here 2 years ago, now it's dropped. 2 weeks ago petrol was $1.30/L and now it's almost 50cpl more.

I just like having the option of two fuel types. It's saved me before a number of times - filled up at a servo and obviously got a fair bit of moisture in with the petrol. So much that it wouldn't run on petrol at all; that one took a while to figure out but lpg meant that I could still get to work etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In terms of the misfire I'd be looking at replacing the plugs and leads. If that doesn't help grab a known good coil and swap it over one by one until the miss goes. If you were in the north I'd say drop around and we can swap parts until we figure out the the faulty part causing the miss. If the gas is playing up this can cause it to misfire too I have had gas problems on an old VS that I drove to pick up parts for the mechanic. Switching to petrol fixed the issue.

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Ute
Yeah I’ve done Plugs, and I have considered changing to a known good coil just haven’t gotten around to it. Thanks for the offer mate, cheers. Gonna replace 02 Sensor and see how that goes, as well as vacuum leak. Thanks for the input everyone.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'd be keeping the gas. Sort out the underlying problem. Likely to be a bad coil or dfi module, providing plugs and leads are good.

Not much goes wrong with mixer systems - and the worst thing that can wear in a simple ring mixer system is the converter diaphragm which is a cheap replacement part.

LPG here in vic is over a full dollar cheaper than petrol. For similar economy at a much lower price, you'd be crazy to remove the lpg system given a choice.

For a saving of over $60 per 60L tank, I'll take it any day.
Lol you've never worked on taxis.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure how leads, plugs, crank sensor, coil and such can be an issue if it ran well on gas? Even thinking there is an intake leak sounds odd if it ran well on gas.

Problems with O2 sensor and pollution side of the mix, when on petrol, i can understand. But spark and timing must still be controled by ECU when on gas even for mixer based systems if i'm not mistaken (though that wouldn't be the first or last time).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not sure how leads, plugs, crank sensor, coil and such can be an issue if it ran well on gas? Even thinking there is an intake leak sounds odd if it ran well on gas.

Problems with O2 sensor and pollution side of the mix, when on petrol, i can understand. But spark and timing must still be controled by ECU when on gas even for mixer based systems if i'm not mistaken (though that wouldn't be the first or last time).
The way I understood it, is that the symptoms started when he ran it out of gas and are now present for both gas and petrol - but the op isn't very clear.

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Ute
So after running through my VAC lines n connectors trying to find a leak, I have encountered something. In the picture shown their is a what appears to be a O2 Intake line from the gas converter to the Airbox when idle’ing and revving their is a popping noice. Quite odd, hard to describe. Almost like a back fire, pop noise. But from my understanding that’s a intanke line? Does this ring anything for any LPG guru’s?
4C4D463C-1EBD-43A7-A0FF-AF8999AF6982.png