Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Exhaust Comparison Gold! HSV Headers vs Aftermarket Tri-Y's & 4-1's. What would you choose?

If your objective is useable torque and power for the street. Which system would you choose and why?

• HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Standard HSV 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • HSV 340 Headers (2 1/2" outlet) with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 'Tri-Y' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Aftermarket 1 3/4 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 2.5" Cat-Back

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Aftermarket 1 7/8 '4-1' Headers with Aftermarket 3" Cat-Back

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
yep.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

At first I thought I was doing away with my warranty and I was prepared to accept that , but the salesman later explained that warranty still applied , just not for the parts that I'd added

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
I have a set of HSV headers to swap for a set of new or near new electric bimodal cans if any one is interested in Syd.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have a set of HSV headers to swap for a set of new or near new electric bimodal cans if any one is interested in Syd.
I have a HSV set if you're interested. Same controller as VF2 mufflers.

Last edited:

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mine came with 1 7/8 Pacemaker headers, 100cell cats, and 3 inch Pacemaker exhaust. Was way to loud so i replaced the cat back with a 2.5 inch Hurricane system. Drones a bit more with the 2.5 inch.

As far as power difference between the 3 inch and 2.5 inch, couldn't feel the difference. Nor could the dyno

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yes the LS3 is a bigger engine than the L76 so comparison on performance is probably invalid.
Displacement difference is about a bee's dick each bore. What makes a big difference breathing and sound wise is the LS3 has a more aggressive camshaft than an L77 so the breathing capability of the engine is different (and will affect things like drone points etc).

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
anyone aware of a full HSV340 system that's available, looking to swap out on my VFII Redline
unless your reasoning is wanting to stay close to stock, you can probably pick up a brand new aftermarket system for similar price

Rikster71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
unless your reasoning is wanting to stay close to stock, you can probably pick up a brand new aftermarket system for similar price
Thanks Parado, fro all accounts there would be some decent gains going with a HSV 340 system, unless I am missing something, I realise there may be slightly better gains with an aftermarket system, but I like the fact that a HSV system will look pretty much stock.

From what I see, but happy to be corrected, I get a better set of Headers, whilst not to the same level as say a set of Genie Tri Y's, they are still pretty good, and I get a set of higher flow Cat's and a 2.5" Mandrel Cat Back system, versus a restrictive manifold, restrictive cats and a 2.25 pressed system.

I am not after a loud system, I just want to free it up, and if I couple this with an OTR and a Tune I should be good to go, likely to pick up anywhere from 50-70Kw for less than $3,000. Although Budget is not the concern, my other option things like either a C&A 385kw system for $5k or a Walky for $7.5k both with 2.5 systems from either X-Force or DPE with OTR's from VCM so really not a huge difference.

I am happy for any recommendations considering the above, so not after noise, just want to remove the restrictions.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Thanks Parado, fro all accounts there would be some decent gains going with a HSV 340 system, unless I am missing something, I realise there may be slightly better gains with an aftermarket system, but I like the fact that a HSV system will look pretty much stock.

From what I see, but happy to be corrected, I get a better set of Headers, whilst not to the same level as say a set of Genie Tri Y's, they are still pretty good, and I get a set of higher flow Cat's and a 2.5" Mandrel Cat Back system, versus a restrictive manifold, restrictive cats and a 2.25 pressed system.

I am not after a loud system, I just want to free it up, and if I couple this with an OTR and a Tune I should be good to go, likely to pick up anywhere from 50-70Kw for less than $3,000. Although Budget is not the concern, my other option things like either a C&A 385kw system for $5k or a Walky for $7.5k both with 2.5 systems from either X-Force or DPE with OTR's from VCM so really not a huge difference.

I am happy for any recommendations considering the above, so not after noise, just want to remove the restrictions.
id recommend c & a autofashion, the 2.5 catback system 1 3/4 headers would be great and with the cai youll be saving some petrol with a better tune. if your not wanting it too loud at certian times youll have the bimodal function to quite it down aswell!