Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] LS1 Cam Install

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
in reference to the "how to" posted above, does anyone have any disagreements with that procedure?

I am not looking to do my cam, but I did have a read of it and just wondering if someone could elaborate on the points they made about using longer bolts for leverage? Didn't quite understand what they mean there.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
When re-installing the cam its just easier to handle and manoeuvre it through the each of the cam bearings, can't really do it with the tips of your fingers

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
You will most likely spend most time on the springs, get a good spring compressor.
Crane cams make a good one ~$200 though.
Definitely source a longer HB pulley bolt to remove that last bit and reinstall without the risk of stripping threads.
Note that when removing the timing cover there are two bolts on the very bottom pointing up.
As for the lifters part, 16 pen magnets are going to cost a bit...there are holes for holding the lifters in the front. just need a steel rod (cant remember the length or diameter off the top of my head)

Putting it back together is fairly straight forward but there are a bunch of specific detailed checks you should do.
If you going with a ~230 and under 0.600" lift @.05" you should probably not have to worry about the checks but just make sure your pushrods are all tight all the time.
none of them should be able to move when the lifter is down.

I think thats all, i went into a lot more detail than i was expecting to but hopefully it will all help.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Thanks guys appreciate it

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I asked this question in another thread, but got no reply. I was told that the lifters will stay up if cam rotated one revolution prior to being removed. Is this fact, or fiction?? Obviously for this to work, pushrods would be out.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I asked this question in another thread, but got no reply. I was told that the lifters will stay up if cam rotated one revolution prior to being removed. Is this fact, or fiction?? Obviously for this to work, pushrods would be out.

I wouldn't rely on that method, similar to tyrefryer said you feed a piece of wooden dowel into the cavity beside the lifters as you rotate the cam and once all the way in will keep the lifters held up.
Basically the dowel is feeding along the passage picking up where each lifter reduces in diameter in the middle if its length which is how it is able to hold the lifters up, if that makes sense.
Not sure but thing the dowel size is 3/8"

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
yep 2nd that idea with the wooden dowl

Coxy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 5.7L
So tuning wise? after hes installed it and started it up and its ok he does need a tune? and can oztrack do me one if i ring up and tell them? Then they send it to me?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Ill just drive mine up to Oztrack or get it towed.

Usually he can remote tune it, but I want power figures.