Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 ticking noise on cold start up.

IA148461

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman LS1 V8
Hello.

My LS1 (173,000ks) WK Statesman makes ticking noises when first started up cold. After a few minutes it goes away. It sounds like lifters but I'm not 100% sure. Has anyone else experienced this and if they did what can I do about it. My E3 GTS LS3 with 73,000 ks on it does not do it. With the WK is it something to do with the ks it has done or poor servicing? (I have not had the WK since new)

Cheers

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Read a few posts about this think its quite common to the ls1 some people sujest changing to a slightly thicker oil others sujest using lifter free in oil

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
mines done 227k and has quite noisy lifters at start up for a few seconds. if i re-ring the engine i will change lifters while im at it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nulon lifter free works for a little while.

Consistent servicing & a lot of luck but as they get older & mileage builds up sooner or later ls1 will start to tick.

Either heads off to change the lifters or like most learn to live with it especially if it's only minor noise on cold start.

Some are so bad they sound like a diesel yet still keep going for years untill owner gets sick of the rear main leak do they fix anything lol

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Either heads off to change the lifters
Do you have to remove the heads? I thought it was just done by removing the inlet manifold and rocket covers then taking off the rockers to remove the rods so u can remove the lifters out.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
Do you have to remove the heads? I thought it was just done by removing the inlet manifold and rocket covers then taking off the rockers to remove the rods so u can remove the lifters out.
not in a LS engine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep heads off job to change lifters,costly due to hours required.

Also most wait untill it's bad to sound like a diesel or gets bad enough to chew lobes off cam which means....

Frank Jansz

Reaction score
Members Ride
wK BY Statesman
My car has done 417000 K My. Loud ticking Notice sounds like Tappets or like a Diesel Engine. .when engine gets Hot after 20 minutes running The noise is not as loud. What's your opinion please