Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Air Intake

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A guy I used to work with fitted a X-force exhaust to his l98 I think it may have a CAI but that's here nor there. He made 270kw at Gentech in Canberra who is an official HSV registered workshop.
The quality of the X-force stainless exhaust was poor one cylinder had a 70deg angle straight out of the port.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
Hey all, I've got an LS3 VF Calais that I want to help breathe a little better so I am looking at the air intake. I was going OTR until I had a chat to a mate who has told me he doesn't like them and suggested looking into stainless and silicon piping instead.

I don't remember why he doesn't like OTR, that conversation was at the start of a 1000 beer evening..

Anyway, what do you guys reckon? Has he got a point? Or is he full of **** and OTR is the best cold air intake?

Or is he right and can anybody point me ion the direction of some alternative ideas or kits please?

*EDIT
Extractors, hi flow cats and a tune are also on the list. Don't want big power, more interested in efficiently using what is already there.

Kade.
I recently installed an otr vcm on my ls3 redline and without a tune the difference is night and day

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
If i smell bullshit ill call someone out every time,most will argue the point to save face,if im wrong ill openly admit it.
Calm down before you blow Milkshake.
Seeing as you know so much and are so keen to call out BS, give my tuner a call. Ask them how they got the extra power (229 to 253kw) after fitting the HF cats and retune. It sounds like you may be able to teach them a thing or two from all your readings. I've already posted both dyno charts previously in response to your last rant. So you can quote them. Call Gentech Canberra 02 6241 0577. Keen to hear what you find.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Calm down before you blow Milkshake.
Seeing as you know so much and are so keen to call out BS, give my tuner a call. Ask them how they got the extra power (229 to 253kw) after fitting the HF cats and retune. It sounds like you may be able to teach them a thing or two from all your readings. I've already posted both dyno charts previously in response to your last rant. So you can quote them. Call Gentech Canberra 02 6241 0577. Keen to hear what you find.
Actually learn how to work on your own car instead of getting on the internet and making bs statements about hp and not knowing wtf you are on about.
This is what you said
From what I understand, it's more the angle at the entry point of the HSV cats. It's a sharp angle and inside the cat there is a ring to reduce the inside diameter. When I removed the HSV cats and added 200cpi bullet cats and had it retuned, I picked up 20 something rwkw on the already tuned L77.
You are saying with just a change of cats and retune and you gained all that power,cats had almost nothing to do with it and you know it,it was totally the tune,so the basis for youre whole argument has no substance at all,just admit it,i never said your tuner didnt make 23kw,i said it wasnt made just because of high flow cats replacing stock cats,understand that?
The part where you say"from what you understand" you dont understand at all,you are a friggin clown.
The cats i was referring to do not have a restricter ring in them at all,neither do the ve hsv cats i have now,so wtf are you going on about?
Like i said,you have no idea what your on about,the initial post you replied to quoting me had nothing to do with the parts you had fitted to your car,did they?
Stock vf 6.0 cats dont have a restricter ring in them,tbh the only restricter ring ive seen in a cat pipe was an fg turbo,thats because i actually work on cars and know about the parts i remove,i pay attention to stuff,unlike being told stuff by other people and jumping on the interwebs.
The original question the guy asked was about a bog stock s1 ssv,for a start you are comparing hsv cats on your modified non stock hsv exhaust and replying to a question about a stock ssv,there is no comparison,see where im going here,my initial statement only made reference to his car,not your modified example,wtf did you even reply,to brag about your bs gains thats why,nobody even cares pal...
At least try and prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What is your problem?

If he's posted before and after results and the mods done than the results are legit.

Now, I believe this thread is about LS3 cold air intakes so lets get this back on topic!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
My problem is people like this clown giving out advice that is wrong that may cost people money who believe said advice.
Wow this guy got 23 rwkw from fitting 200 cell cats and having a retune on an already tuned motor,how come i only made 6 kw when i did the same thing?
Dont believe everything you see on the internet,it may cost you money just to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For starters stop calling people clowns, personal insults don't go down well.

You are entitled to your opinion but keep in mind your opinion is no more valid than any other opinion and at the end of the day whom ever is reading these comments will have to make up their own minds on what is BS or otherwise.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
....wtf did you even reply,to brag about your bs gains thats why,nobody even cares pal...

cats dont have a restricter ring in them....

I care and I trust Cuda's advice.

And I know for a fact my neighbour's cat has a restricted ring from where I booted it up the bum for continuously pooing in my yard.