Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Engine number

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
IIRC the decoding of the engine number is as follows:
16 = 2016 built
183 = julian day of the year - ie 2nd July
xxxx = the xxxx engine of the day. ie 0001 is the 1st engine of the day, 1000 would be the 1000th of the day

All recent V8's indeed came from Silao

Uggh Skylarking already decoded it, oh well.
Thanks Paul

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
Given that Holden’s ”MY” model years change in September (I think), even an engine built in June/July would mean they’d make it into the following model year vehicle (given component manufacture and delivery lead times). Such is mentioned in the link I provided above.

So yes, an engine built in early December 2016, as is Steve5150’s, would most certainly be used in a MY17 model year. Heck, it’s likely an engine with number *LS3*16183xxxx* could also be in a MY17 ;)

But as yet we haven’t heard back from @Steve5150 so don’t know if this is the sort of info he was after :rolleyes:
Hey mate, thanks for the reply.
Would like to know if the engine Holden replaced was new.
Where it came from?
Holden won’t give me any information.

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
If by origin you mean you want to find out which vehicle (type) the engine came from, such info can't be decoded.
Holden may be able to look it up if they could be bothered (were still in business and chasing sales)...

From https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/holden-and-hsv-gen-iv-engine-number-prefixes.250144/

Using your number *LS3*163381425*

LS3 is the RPO code for the engine
16 is the year 2016
338 is the julien date, that is the 338th day of the year when the engine was manufactured (day 338 is december 3rd)
1425 is the assembly plant sequence number

What the K14 signifies IDK but if there is a DGD or DCF code somewhere on the engine it could mean the following

DGD = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (auto trans)
DGF = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (manual trans)
thanks mate

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
If by origin you mean you want to find out which vehicle (type) the engine came from, such info can't be decoded.
Holden may be able to look it up if they could be bothered (were still in business and chasing sales)...

From https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/holden-and-hsv-gen-iv-engine-number-prefixes.250144/

Using your number *LS3*163381425*

LS3 is the RPO code for the engine
16 is the year 2016
338 is the julien date, that is the 338th day of the year when the engine was manufactured (day 338 is december 3rd)
1425 is the assembly plant sequence number

What the K14 signifies IDK but if there is a DGD or DCF code somewhere on the engine it could mean the following

DGD = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (auto trans)
DGF = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (manual trans)
Thanks mate. Just having issues with Holden atm. Engine was replaced by them in 2019 at 24000kms. Recently took it in to get a stage 4 upgrade at Harrop. Harrop saying that it doesn't look like a new engine. At some stage it was strayed badly in silver. Holden won't give me answers. Check the pics

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Thanks mate. Just having issues with Holden atm. Engine was replaced by them in 2019 at 24000kms. Recently took it in to get a stage 4 upgrade at Harrop. Harrop saying that it doesn't look like a new engine. At some stage it was strayed badly in silver. Holden won't give me answers. Check the pics
Just a thought ... check the terms & conditions, and that they weren't "allowed" to replace with a "reconditioned" engine as opposed to a new one.

It sounds as though something went horribly wrong with the original engine, so under warranty it was replaced?
If so I don't know if they "must" replace with a new engine, I think the requirement is that they "fix it" in a way that lasts as long as the rest of the car & the expected lifetime of the car.

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
Just a thought ... check the terms & conditions, and that they weren't "allowed" to replace with a "reconditioned" engine as opposed to a new one.

It sounds as though something went horribly wrong with the original engine, so under warranty it was replaced?
If so I don't know if they "must" replace with a new engine, I think the requirement is that they "fix it" in a way that lasts as long as the rest of the car & the expected lifetime of the car.
Holden has repeatedly said it was replaced with a new engine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.20.23 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.20.23 pm.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.20.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.20.13 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.19.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.19.44 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.21.58 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.21.58 pm.png
    889.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.21.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.21.44 pm.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 80

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Actually I seem to have a vague recollection that the plant in Mexico either shut down, or stopped making LS3's, before Holden stopped manufacture; and that Holden bought the entire last few batches of LS3's in one go & stockpiled them for the purposes of keeping them in engines until Holden stopped production?
Silao didn't close, they just stopped building LS3 engines. All MY17 V8's were built in 2016 (afair)

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Holden has repeatedly said it was replaced with a new engine.

Hmm difficult to gauge from the pics, given the usual collection of road grime over time (Unless they where from when it was installed, which I'm guessing not?) Harrop by far will know more, but what have they specifically said gives them the idea? As in it was badly "sprayed" as in paint? (Previous comment says strayed which I'm guessing is an autocorrect) The Valley plate shows a build date of October 16, and the complete engine finished in December by the code. And going by Paul comment above it fits into the timeline of when it got to Holden. Who knows how long in storage, same as the Port Melbourne plant closing in 16, but having built engines for all of MY17. My dads August 17 built SV6 has an engine built 2 weeks prior to Port Melbourne closing

I think the difficultly you could run into with the paint approach, whilst many dealers and wreckers Aus side seem to be breathing direct from the exhaust with LS3 prices (Priced like they are made from unobtanium and powered by angle tears), it really is a bog standard American V8 (Though a great one!)

And with that, given its extensive use in Camaros and Corvettes, as well as god knows how many crate engines, its just mass produced in the same way as the HFV6 engines are, so the finish on them is going to be acceptable as opposed to perfect. Silao certainly wouldn't have the same standards as their Wixom Performance build centre (LS9 and LT6 production)

Im happy to be wrong, but unless you can actually peel off the resprayed paint, id wager that's the standard finish. The white marks seem to be the usual aluminium oxide coating that AL gets when exposed to air and water, and the finish looks the same on the aluminium bits as the LFX. Is there any noticeable peeling? That would give a pretty solid indication of a re-spray. I remember seeing a post once about a persons brand new Motorsport, and it came from the dealer with completely rusted (surface) headers, which Holden said is normal (Which it is, but id still be mega annoyed...)

Still only Holden is going to know, so youll probably have to keep hounding them for more info, and if they are cagey about it well they must be hiding something

Last edited:

Steve5150

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline ute
Hmm difficult to gauge from the pics, given the usual collection of road grime over time (Unless they where from when it was installed, which I'm guessing not?) Harrop by far will know more, but what have they specifically said gives them the idea? As in it was badly "sprayed" as in paint? (Previous comment says strayed which I'm guessing is an autocorrect) The Valley plate shows a build date of October 16, and the complete engine finished in December by the code. And going by Paul comment above it fits into the timeline of when it got to Holden. Who knows how long in storage, same as the Port Melbourne plant closing in 16, but having built engines for all of MY17. My dads August 17 built SV6 has an engine built 2 weeks prior to Port Melbourne closing

I think the difficultly you could run into with the paint approach, whilst many dealers and wreckers Aus side seem to be breathing direct from the exhaust with LS3 prices (Priced like they are made from unobtanium and powered by angle tears), it really is a bog standard American V8 (Though a great one!)

And with that, given its extensive use in Camaros and Corvettes, as well as god knows how many crate engines, its just mass produced in the same way as the HFV6 engines are, so the finish on them is going to be acceptable as opposed to perfect. Silao certainly wouldn't have the same standards as their Wixom Performance build centre (LS9 and LT6 production)

Im happy to be wrong, but unless you can actually peel off the resprayed paint, id wager that's the standard finish. The white marks seem to be the usual aluminium oxide coating that AL gets when exposed to air and water, and the finish looks the same on the aluminium bits as the LFX. Is there any noticeable peeling? That would give a pretty solid indication of a re-spray. I remember seeing a post once about a persons brand new Motorsport, and it came from the dealer with completely rusted (surface) headers, which Holden said is normal (Which it is, but id still be mega annoyed...)

Still only Holden is going to know, so youll probably have to keep hounding them for more info, and if they are cagey about it well they must be hiding something
Thanks for the reply mate.

Harrop are saying engine dosnt look new. At some stage it was painted silver over dust dirt and rubber seals.

Holden are giving me nothing. Just that the engine replaced with a new one in 2019.

Have to get to the bottom of it.
Thanks for your help mate!