Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 magnetic sump plug

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Any one fitted a magnetic sump plug to their VF ls3? Looking for one and need a part number if possible! I know some people think they are a waste of time but I think they can't hurt

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I like the magnet because you can judge how much metal is on it, giving you a perspective of what's going on.
My bikes have them and yep they sure do inform you of what's going on, I look the metal collected and I have changed oil type due to what I have seen or kept using one brand because it looks good.
It's best to be informed I say than ignorant. I have had times when it's saved me a lot of money because I seen heaps of metal on it and that was it, she's time to trade it in.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
You could try mainlube. Cant see them on their web page, but I know they use to sell them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
But magnet would not attract alloy ...would it ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
But magnet would not attract alloy ...would it ?
Don't aluminium-alloy engines usually have steel liners, rings, etc?
What about bearing surfaces? [only experience I have with alloy is heads & I don't think they've had steel inserts for the cam bearing surfaces, but that's further away from the heat & with SFA non-rotational force compared to a crank]

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yes that is true. But given that the engine is mostly alloy all those bits woukd not be trapped. Is not that what the oil filter is for ? To trap all those bits ..

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Suggest looking at the US SS forum for key reasons for using a magnetic sump plug - likely depends on driving style also re need.
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/engin...art-numbers-info-w-bonus-oil-filter-info.html
SS forum member states ..."Get a magnetic plug. Some LS3 engines have issues with rocker needle bearings. The car will usually continue to run fine even when needle bearings have started escaping their cages and fall down in the pan. The needle bearings will stick to the magnetic drain plug so the issue will be obvious when you change the oil. Without the magnet, the bearings may pour into the pan unnoticed."

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Yes that is true. But given that the engine is mostly alloy all those bits woukd not be trapped. Is not that what the oil filter is for ? To trap all those bits ..
Mostly Aluminium, and any steel components aren't going to wear before the aluminium does that's for sure.