Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lying car yard

oldskool-vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s-pac, 82 vh sl
so about 12 months ago i bought a used car from a local car yard,in the documents i got with the car it stated that the car is NOT in the WOVR,this was then signed by one of the dealers there.i have been trying to sell this car recently due to an upgrade,one of the potential buyers ran a check on the car only to discover that it was in fact a repairable write off,this has been confirmed to me by vic roads.

so now i have the fun task of dealing with the car yard/connsumer afairs/VACC and anybody else to fix the situation as the status has made it hard to sell

hopefully this lets a few people know that sometimes even car yards lie about the deatails,and it doesnt hurt to run a check regardless.

has anybody been throught this situation before?
anybody have any insight the would care to share?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
The onus was on you to run a check before you purchased.

Lesson learnt, you need to move on and check next time.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
A dishonest car dealer unfortunately there's still quite a few of them around.
I'd be taking it straight to the relevant authorities rather than the car yard because you're likely to get nothing but grief from the dealer

oldskool-vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s-pac, 82 vh sl
the ladie in vic roads advised me to go speak to the car yard first,and see if the will make any effort to make it right.if not i will be taking it further with consumer affairs and VACC.all i want is to get rid of the car and get some money

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
See if they'll buy it back at a reasonable price

oldskool-vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s-pac, 82 vh sl
Regardless of what the car yard does,i still think it would be a good idea to report it to the relevant authorites.might as well get some mmoney off them first.

is there a decent fine if they get caught doing this?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
don't want to sound like I'm lecturing, but just a lesson for anyone
NEVER trust anyone you are contemplating buying a car from - even if it's your best mate.

Always do a REVS (or similar) check before committing to anything. It will identify if the vehicle is on the WOVR register, if money is owed on it, reported as stolen, confirms owners details, last odometer reading etc. From memory a proper check costs around $30-50. It's bloody cheap insurance

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Pffffffft. This is not a personal attack but a comment on the circumstances. And it's not just with regards to this one instance.

Why is it, more and more people seem to be crying foul when they themselves haven't protected themselves? They haven't taken the steps needed to ensure they're "protected" or "covered"?

I bought another house recently. If I didn't get a pest inspection done and later found termites, I have no recourse to the seller or the agent. It simply my own stupid fault for not getting it checked!

Like Clair said, lesson learnt. Move on. Don't make the same mistake again.

Always, ALWAYS, A L W A Y S, buyer beware!

oldskool-vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s-pac, 82 vh sl
Pffffffft. This is not a personal attack but a comment on the circumstances. And it's not just with regards to this one instance.

Why is it, more and more people seem to be crying foul when they themselves haven't protected themselves? They haven't taken the steps needed to ensure they're "protected" or "covered"?

I bought another house recently. If I didn't get a pest inspection done and later found termites, I have no recourse to the seller or the agent. It simply my own stupid fault for not getting it checked!

Like Clair said, lesson learnt. Move on. Don't make the same mistake again.

Always, ALWAYS, A L W A Y S, buyer beware!

i understand what you are saying and it would apply if this was a private sale,however i boiugh the car from a LMCT who by law are required to run certain checks and to advise a buyer of these kinds of details.
i find it highly un likely that the LMCT didnt falsify the documents