Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Engineering Development Car

VS_WPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
All things considered it think it went quite well :D

The power that it was made untuned, and standard comp, was 137kw at the rears. if it was in a manual it would have certainly been knocking close to the door of the 150kw at the rears mark which is nothing to sneeze at from an ecotec!

137rwkw taking into consideration the following:
1. Auto
2. 20w60 oil was used (will be using thinner oil next time & better quality)
3. 3.9 Diff ratio shows less power on dyno

=D

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
I'm only spewing that we couldn't raise the compression ratio with these heads as VS_WPN want to go down the boosted path down the track.

Nonetheless should be interesting to see what she makes with a tune :)

how far would you be raising the comp, ecotecs are about 9.4:1 aren't they?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Compression is the way to go, better for my LPG. 137rw is how many engine kilowatts ? What is that as a gain over stock, 37kw ? With NA, not everything is in the numbers (which seem to impress some people apart from actual performance), what is the car like driving around ? What was the torque increase ?

VS_WPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
The car made 122.1rwkw with an exhaust, extractors, 12mm Manifold Insulator, ss inductions cai & K&N panel filter.

With the Heads & Rockers there was a slight torque drop at low rpm (I'm talking about the first 3 or 4km/h), then the torque keeps increasing whereas with the 122.1rwkw dyno graph the torque keeps dieing. From mid to high RPM is where this produces the most power. At low rpm we found it very slightly lost power over 122.1rwkw dyno graph.

With just the heads installed (No rockers) the low down torque was the best and it made the most power and torque from 35 - 60km/h.

I'd imagine stock the car had like Approx 110rwkw. We still haven't tuned the car or even chipped it =S

Results will be coming soon when we MAFless tune it (3 - 4 weeks). I will not be supirsed if it makes 150rwkw + !!. Only time will tell. :D

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Can you explain to me how a mafless tune is done on the ecotecs and does anyone know its characteristics, idle quality etc ? I have not seen it done before thats all hehe ;) ALso 137rwkw is approx how many engine kw ? 190kw ?

VS_WPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
To do a Mafless tune on the ecotecs you will need to install a MAP sensor in the manifold. I will be using the standard computer with kalmaker software to custom tune on dyno. MAFless tune takes less time to calculate figures which will make the car more responsive.
MACE Provided a good explanation:

MAF's are a restriction and every restriction you can remove from the inlet track, in particular N/A engines, the better :)

Even if MAF is still able to read/register the air passing through it, upgrading the MAF or going MAFless is always a good idea just before you get a custom tune.

It's the main reason why the LS1 boys go MAFless, not because it still can't sense the extra air coming through it or because the MAP is more accurate working out the air coming into the engine (the MAF is actually more accurate, hence it's inclusion, important from an emissions perspective) but because it is a restriction. It does cause a pressure drop across the inlet tract (the MAF) meaning that the engine cannot ingest as much air if a larger one was present or none was present at all.

Hope this helps
Cheers

mitch1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hey no offence at all by this just very curious but a 125 rwkw is kind of poor cause thats only around 162 kw at fly wheel and if im correct a standerd ecotec makes 147kw at fly wheel? any reason why you only gained around 14 kw all them memcal chips claim to give you a boost of around 17kw for 99 buks for e.g i got my car dynoed with extractors and full exhaust few other mild tweaks and it made 159 kw at fly will so in theory you only gained 5 kw from like 2 grand to a normal person> any thoughts on that cheers

VS_WPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
hey no offence at all by this just very curious but a 122 rwkw is kind of poor cause thats only around 162 kw at fly wheel and if im correct a standerd ecotec makes 147kw at fly wheel? any reason why you only gained around 14 kw all them memcal chips claim to give you a boost of around 17kw for 99 buks for e.g i got my car dynoed with extractors and full exhaust few other mild tweaks and it made 159 kw at fly will so in theory you only gained 5 kw from like 2 grand to a normal person> any thoughts on that cheers

A standard ecotec from factory in 1997 makes 147 kw @ fly wheel . With a full exhaust i made 122rwkw. totally standard the car would have made in the 90 - 110max rwkw vicinity. With the heads and all the other word i got 137rwkw untuned, with a tune it will see close if not over the 150rwkw mark. Not to mention with 3.9 diff gears and a thicker oil it showed less power on the dyno. Also a dyno will show you the power you have at the wheels, unless you took your engine out and put it on an engine dyno and checked how much flywheel kw you have. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask =D Cheers.

Last edited: