Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnatec thoughts?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Oh dear me.......More "lost"books.
Simple to look up the correct oil for that vehicle on the Castrol site.

most automotive shops , Repco , Super Cheap , have a database where you can check these things too , as mentioned regular oil changes are what is more important .

H

harrop.senator

Rule of thumb at work if cbf looking up is 80s , 20w, 90s 15w , late 90s early 00s is a 10w and 05+ 0/5 weight.

08 astra from memory is 5 w 30 or 5w 40 4.5 litres. I haven't had many issues going one weight up on the winter scale but unsure if it's cause I live in the wild west.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
A guy I know and myself both using magnatec (mine was 9yrs. old when I got mine the owner was using magnatec the whole time 10000klm oil changes).
Magnatec is sticky.
Anyway both pickups blocked up oil light came up.
Sump was taken off (make a ball with your hands) a ball of carbon was in the sump and it was sticky.
New pickup and a few oil flushes and filters it came clean.
The filters had matchstick head size carbon bits.
Never used it again and changed to 5000klm oil changes.
My mates motor was not as lucky he got a second hand one.
I run ACDelco 20w50 mineral which is made by Fuchs

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
It needs a semi syn and im pretty sure magnatec is just that. Gonna use 10w 40 as that seems fairly common oil around 08 cars.
PS. I don`t know if semi syn is the same as mineral

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Decided not to get the magnatec gear. I will wait unti Penrite comes on special again and grab 5L of 5w full syn. I was just trying to give it a cheap oil change to save time and money. Instead i will drop the oil and do the proper checks. That way it will be good to go another 10K when i will book it in at KTAS. I need to dump the trans fluid as well because the fiance never had it done since she owned it. Think it had done 120k without a trans oil change. Because when I took it in the oil was very dirty the bloke said. FIIK why but the Astra's don't have a serviceable trans filter so all i can do is dump tbe fluid and put fresh syn gear in it.

H

harrop.senator

Lol penrite was cheapest today it'll probably be all year at supercheap. All 40℅ off paid $26 for hpr gas 10 w 50 for the ls today.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I grab some 20w 60 mineral gear for the ute today. Been on 40% off 2 or 3 times in the last two months. We don't need the Astra for another 6 weeks, im sure it will come on special again before then.

H

harrop.senator

Man it's ridiculous I obviously dont pay attention to the sales haha.. Hpr 10 at 40℅ off is the same price as we pay in a 205l pump out. So I don't understand how they're making money on it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you buy a 10L bottle it is cheaper again than buying 2, 5s.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just buy it online as a click and collect. I've got so much of that HPR gas it's not funny. I use it in all my cars and bikes.

Look up loss leader pricing. In short, the business makes a loss though selling items below cost to get customers through the door, in the hope that they'll purchase other products too such as filters etc.

Its a way to attract more customers (I'd say in attempt to gain more market-share from competitors).