Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MENTL6 - VK Wagz

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Did think about it, was gonna do that to the next motor.....but then I remember I'm gonna be flogging the crap outta it and at some stage it's gonna break. So think I'll stick to 308 bottom ends I rekon lol. :p

See wat happens tho.

Update....not much has changed. Done a lot of small things, also been working on the wiring in the car. Still need to get me hands on a radiator and tailshaft.

DSCF3114640x480.jpg

DSCF3084640x480.jpg

Have put rubber grommets in the holes now too.
DSCF3111640x480.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Few more pics.

The wiring in progress. (now pretty much completed)
DSCF3143640x480.jpg

Fuse rail now in the glovebox. Still need to slap some paint around the place.
DSCF3151640x480.jpg

Headlights and indicators working.
DSCF3158640x480.jpg

Me little bro chuckin in it's first lot of oil. :thumbsup:
DSCF3168640x480.jpg

And it's ready to start, but got flat batteries, seems it takes a fair bit of juice to turn the sucker over. Hopefully 2morrow is the day!

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Cheers mate. Specs of the donk...

308 5.0L
ACL bearings and gaskets
Speed Pro cast rings
JP billet double row timing chain set
Crane Blue Racer 976812 hydraulic cam
Crane anti-pump lifters
VN heads
LT1 valve springs
Procomp manifold
750 Holley

The cam is suppose to make power from around 2500-5900. So thought a 3000rpm converter would be the way to go as if ur not making huge power ya don't achieve the rated stall (that's wat I got told anyway). If I got a 2500rpm converter it might not flash up to 2500, so got the 3000 to be safe. That make sense? Hope so, coz that's the way I thought about it lol. If I'm wrong it's to late to change it now haha.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Nah took the roller rockers off coz they didn't line up properly on the valve tips, so just using normal steel rockers now. Could of went with a 286 or sumfin but it only has stock compression so didn't wanna go to big. We'll see how it goes anyway, I'm aiming for anything north of 160rwkw at the moment....hopefully it makes it pretty easy.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nah, your spot on with that cam (i think, not speaking from expierence) from what i have read etc they dont need anywhere near as much as the ol' 308. i got a blueracer stock replacement for my impala, and although i though it was a bit tame, when you hit 3k+ it really hauls arse. but yeah too much cam is often too much, as i found out with the 308

i must say im jealous. been looking into upgrading my heads for a while but just have not taken he plundge yet, good thing you gonna be my guinea pig eh ;)

edit* 750 Vac 2nd or double pumper?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VN heads are getting heaps cheap now. Kept my eye on 2 sets on ebay, one set went for about $135, and the other didn't sell at $200 and was relisted at $180 I think.

It's a 750 vac sec. Possibly a bit big for it but will wait and see. The 600 I rebuilt for it I ended up pulling down again and sandblasted all the bits, blew them out and chucked it back together, looks waaay better now so if the 750 is to big I'll bung the 600 back on there.

I was gonna go a stock EFI cam....but then just couldn't bring myself to putting in a stock cam lol. I wanted something that was matched to everything else (mainly the CR) so that's why I ended up going with that cam. I too have in the past bought the biggest possible cam and slapped it in....with crap results haha.

NEWSFLASH!! THE VK RUNS!!!

Will get the timing right 2morrow and bed the cam in (getting a bit late now), then on Monday got to take it to Port Augusta (bout an hour away) to get an exhaust made for the ol' girl. Hopefully we get it running perfect coz we're not gonna trailer it, but rego and drive it lol (if all goes well). :thumbsup:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah a few times. First time we started it she wouldn't get oil pressure....so turned it off, pulled the pump off and packed it with grease, started it again and it got oil pressure, so stopped it. Figured we prolly shouldn't bed the cam in with no oil pressure lol. It hasn't even been running for a minute in total.....next time it starts tho we'll set the timing again, then start the bed in process. It can't be that bad to run a new cam for a minute of 2 b4 bedding it in can it?

EDIT:
Apparently the main thing NOT to do is let it idle and it has to be above 1500rpm. For the short time that it has been started it has been revving coz it WON'T idle.....as the timing isn't right. Will chuck the tacho in this arvo b4 we start bedding it in. Also apparently if anything is wrong it's ok to shut it off, but when started again ya have to continue the bedding in. So I rekon we should be ok. :thumbsup:

Last edited: