Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MENTL6 - VK Wagz

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We thought we'd try putting oil down the sender hole to prime the pump.....read about it somewhere, possibly on here. Also filled the oil filter as well. But didn't work, so packed the pump with grease. Using straight 30 oil, and have put a bottle of Crane cam and lifter run in lube in with the oil, plus coated the cam lobes, lifters and pushrods with the paste supplied. I'm not worried about the paste possibly having come off, as so far the only work the motor has done is wat is recommended anyway, which is sit above 1500rpm....so I'm fairly confident it will be fine.

I guess time will tell.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
my mate put a cam in his 308 one tonner. i offered to help but after about 20 mins i had to just sit back and giggle.

no molybond, no zinc, didnt run it in, didnt change the oil, literally just took the old one out, new one in, new lifters, started it and took it around the block.

car is fine, runs 100%. i was flabbergasted, i so wanted him to lose a lobe.

scumbag.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Haha. I guess a missing lobe won't be to far off.

Started bedding the cam in 2night and got to about 10 minutes and realised the choke was shut so opened it and she started blowing flames out the exhaust and died. The timing I'm sure is still way off (it's pretty lumpy, which I assume it shouldn't be coz it's a small cam) which I guess would explain it.....but figured I better break in the cam so we can let it idle and mess around with the timing. Now I rekon it's flooded coz it hasn't started since. Fired a few times but not enuf to start. So called it a night.....off to work again. :(

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Short vid from 2day. Took the wagz out on some back roads to get the k's up and make it work a bit.

[YOUTUBE]mnJGLQ0Dn0k[/YOUTUBE]

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
that just plain awesomeness in a wagon!

so it was the fuel pump then? you fix it with a regulator? or just a pair of vice grips? :D

Haha.....vice grips. Gonna buy a regulator off ebay 2day and hopefully have it by the end of the week.

What do ya rekon the timing should be set at? At the moment I have it at 10 degrees advance. Will get it put on the dyno in a few weeks tho, but what should I chuck it on in the meantime? Or should I just play around with it a bit, move it around, try it, and see how it goes.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Also, alot of the regulators I've seen can't go under 2-3psi....which I'd be worried would flood the old girl lol. I've read that some 308's are regulated down to 5psi, and apparently the needle and seat are ok for 8psi....so why doesn't my donk like anything over 2psi? lol

We'll take it on a longer drive today and alot of it is highway so I'm sure we'll find out if it starts starving at higher revs. (3spd plus 4.11's = slow highway trips lol)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nah you have a holley on it so the needle and seat assemblys are good for 8 PSI. i run my quaddy at 6.5 but really should be higher. 7 is about the sweet spot i would reckon cos' it would all depend on the condition of the seat seal and your floats.

as far as timing is concerned, you will really need to suss that out by driving it. i would love to say 14 deg but you really need to graph your dizzy to suit that cam. if you set it at 14 and it still has light weights/springs in it, it could end up being around 35 deg total which is fine for a low comp engine, but mine would ping its face off. i get 11 deg static out of my current dizzy, i reckon yours will be around there too untill you get it graphed, but then the dizzy guys will tell you were static should be.

even still the only way to tell for sure is to drive it. 14 degrees may work really well on a cold day, but if the temp goes over 35 then it may need to be backed off. just set it at 14, go full WOT and see if it pings around the 3000rpm mark, if so then stop immediatly and set it back to 13, and repeat.