Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load, rough idle after repairs.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
When new coils are in, take battery off for 30 minutes, reset your ecu

Is the fuel regulator hose wet if u take of the back?

Have u put fuel cleaner in

With car running, take one injector plug off one at a time, if there no significant idle change then that injector is stuffed or that spark

Changed your tps and iac? Did u put new vaccum hoses on it

U could have a broken wire somewhere like a little snap thats hard to find

Is the 2 earth wires on tight and the ground down next to the sump, polish them all up, are the battery terminals new and cleanly wired

Have u changed the fuel pump relay, probs do fuel fuel filter, and put some 98 fuel in it for a couple runs

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
I took it to work this morning and changed over the other two coils. I think it is idling better. Maybe just needed a run too. It's still a little lumpy at idle but giving the engine a pump is a lot smoother.

I thought maybe part of the shake is from engine mounts but the engine doesn't really move much giving it a rev.

I'll probably do the leads, fuel filter and chuck some cleaner through it, maybe even have the injectors cleaned. I don't think one of them is buggered. It's not a horribly rough idle. Then double check for any vacuum leaks.

Basically I think ticking off the last of the maintenence items and checks will either give me what I'm after or at least to the point where I can definitely live with it given the cars age. Which, if its performs well over the coming weeks, I think I'm good.

So for anyone dragging up this old thread. Just do your regular maintenance items plugs leads filters etc. Check for vacuum leaks. Then clean your sensors. Do the resistance tests on your coils and dfi, replace them. Beyond that your looking at your other sensors, o2 etc. or something I haven't thought of.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
injectors cleaned
Your better off filling the tank with 98, injector cleaner is a gimmick for suckers, there is more cleaning agent in 95 and 98 fuel that will be better than a bottle of cleaner. Nothing like a good lumpy v8. I'm glad your finally on the road blowing out the cobwebs.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
id just get new injectors, only around 100 bucks a set, and they come with new orings too, easy to fit