Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing vx 3.8 , even after new injectors and coil pack

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
I picked up a fairly decent condition vx 185000ks very cheap with issues, of course they said it had had a mishap with a kangaroo and stuffed the radiator, and it's got a miss .... yeah ok I started it and it bubbled up through the radiator inlet.. Took it home and took the heads off and found a head gasket blown out on 5 , I replaced the head gaskets and cleaned up the heads ( only the faintest mark where the head gaskets was blown .) Cranked it up and it's still got the same miss ... I replaced the coil packs and injectors and still the same ... I am not into electronic engines and at a loss for the problem.

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
I picked up a fairly decent condition vx 185000ks very cheap with issues, of course they said it had had a mishap with a kangaroo and stuffed the radiator, and it's got a miss .... yeah ok I started it and it bubbled up through the radiator inlet.. Took it home and took the heads off and found a head gasket blown out on 5 , I replaced the head gaskets and cleaned up the heads ( only the faintest mark where the head gaskets was blown .) Cranked it up and it's still got the same miss ... I replaced the coil packs and injectors and still the same ... I am not into electronic engines and at a loss for the problem.
Changed the plugs first

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
Found a loose wire in an O2 sensor , will replace... then see what happens..

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Did you change the DFI too (what the coils sit on) when you changed the coils?

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
No I didn't do that , last car I ever worked on only had 1 coil , DFI ?

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
No , didn't realise that was an essential part , all new to me

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
What about the simple things, like a bad spark plug lead?

Reactions: Lex

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
You know what , that's the only thing I didn't change . I tried the plugs with them out of the heads and they seemed like they were all good , but might be worth changing them I guess

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
I have now replaced, coil packs, plugs, leads , injectors, o2 sensors, and still has the same miss and a bit of a tick