Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mono channel amplifier questions.

jayden.2.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Berlina
Hey guys,
I recently bought a 2nd hand mono channel amplifier (Pioneer GM-7100M)(View attachment pioneer mono amp spec.doc) and what i think is a 12" subwoofer in an enclosure. I understand how to power the amp off the battery and how to ground the amp, i understand how to run the cables from the amp to the sub. But there are a few things i dont understand.

1. How do i get the signal for the sub from the stock h/u? Through those RCA's shown below (imgage 1), or through the "Speaker Input" also shown below(imgage 1 also). Are those "speaker inputs" what everybody calls "Speaker level inputs"? and if so, am i able to put some splits or 6x9's through the same amp?

2.The inputs to my sub (image 2) are something ive never seen before, are they just a bar wire clamp on type or an actual plug in like an RCA?

Thanks for helping out an amateur in need.

image 1.jpgimage 2.jpg

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
1. Your stock headunit doesnt have rca outputs like aftermarket headunits have, you can use the speaker input as the signal input. Hopefully you got the plug for the speaker input, you will just need to run some speaker wire to your rear left and right speakers and join ito the positive and neagative wires at each speaker.

2. For those terminals you just strip the ends of the insualtion of your sub wiring, then just push down on the terminal and put the bare wire into the holes of the terminal and then the terminal will just spring back which holds onto the wire.

jayden.2.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Berlina
so those 4 white holes labelled "speaker input" will supply the signal for the sub and front speakers? but for the rears i have to run from the rear speakers to the h/u or to the amp?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Are those "speaker inputs" classed as high level inputs?

Speaker inputs are indeed high level inputs. Mono means 1. Mono amp means 1 channel aka a sub. If you don't have the connector for the high level input then you should be able to get a line out convertor which is basically high level input to rca output then the rca goes into the amp.

Honestly and not being rude maybe in this instance your best bet would be to go to a proper audio install place because you obviously don't know what your doing and I can see many frustrating hours ahead if you try do it your self. Even more so if you don't know how to power the amp to begin with.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
I agree with ^ I had my last install done at my local autobarn and they did a great job...$300 to install a pair of amps, all the wiring, an iPod adapter ect and tuned everything really well. I could have done it myself but to be honest I couldn't spare the time and really couldn't be bothered crawling around in the boot mounting amps and all that ****. And all the works covered under warranty whereas if I'd done it and stuffed something up I'd have to fix it myself.

Just an example..but if you don't know what you're doing (and that's OK), then pay a pro to do it right and get it done properly.