Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more kw

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah righto mate not going to waste anymore time adding to a conversation with a brick wall.
If you believe that bigger bore one-HP peak race headers are gonna do you any favours clearing out charge below torque peak, then please do explain or provide something other than a video swapping 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 delivering something up top.
Of course not in this thread, OP has his answer, but would love to be involved in such a technical discussion in the Technical section.

DirkDiggler76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V 2010
thanks for all that good info. I am going to read through and research. Lots of different ideas :)

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
Just to add a little to this, for what it's worth.
I went through a similar situation to op's (2011 ssv manual, aiming for 2-4K rpm torque)
Monster provided decent solid evidence that triy's would be best for me me, and that I didn't need a loud exhaust.
The problem I faced was that no installer in south east Melbourne would agree. Which meant I was iffy about going against what the blokes installing/tuning my car were saying.
I still really would have liked to have found an installer to backup what monster was saying but unfortunately did not. I ended up with the standard Cai/4into1's/2.5' catback and tuned, than after having that loud as **** in the wagon I put the standard mufflers back on.

My afterthoughts, the power really is all up top, 3.5-5k if your looking for the quickest takeoff. Deep down I think a cam is going to be the only way to really change the torque range by much.

I'll most likely just end up doing diff ratio next.. was quoted 3k brand new true trac installed any ratio I wanted today.

Sorry for rambling.. its late :)

Regards,
Stu

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I went through a similar situation to op's (2011 ssv manual, aiming for 2-4K rpm torque).
My afterthoughts, the power really is all up top, 3.5-5k if your looking for the quickest takeoff.
Thanks mate, a man of refreshing candour, great worth indeed!
The tuned car upgrade all speed shops promote is actually a daft construct (because customers ask the wrong question(s), criteria being the highest HP no matter what).
Using the engine, transmission and chassis benefits to best advantage you can transform your $70k sports sedan to become a beast you will want to drive everywhere everyday. Not just caning the rings out of it at peak RPM.
As per the video above, a reasonable test for usable torque this engine was designed and built for, is third gear roll from 20 Kph to highway speed. If that takes more than seven seconds, and you are waiting for the power to kick in at 100 kph then I suggest there’s something awry with how the car is tuned for the street.
Tuning to the car’s potential means a balance of torque and power not skewing one for the sake of the other. Mild launch from idle no spin should still get to highway speed in five seconds, 160 in about nine seconds, 200 in 14 seconds (that’s 2.92 so add half a second per additional gear change).