Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Proof Holden Hates Commodore

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Umm..what sales figures do you look at?

Commodore sales figures have been going backwards since 2008 (51,000 vehicles). And in 2010 they fell off the top of the best selling car list for the first time in 14? years.

In 2010 they sold about 46,000 Commodores.
In 2016 they sold about 26,000 Commodores.

Now...care to elaborate on how the Commodore sales havent been going backwards?
Yes Sabbath, I knew someone would pick this up - but in terms of large car sales, Commodore is still king in a far more competitive market. The fact that not as many people want a large car doesn't mean that relatively speaking the Commodore hasn't been growing its share - yes in a diminishing market, but still king by the country mile. If Oz manufacturing wasn't closing then Holden would hardly drop the Commodore based on 2010, 2016 or any other annual figures.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Commodore sales figures have been going backwards since 2008 (51,000 vehicles). And in 2010 they fell off the top of the best selling car list for the first time in 14? years.

But Commodore was still in the top 10. There are way too many cars to choose from now. That's the issue. The VF sales were higher than Holden expected at launch. Most people having to wait 4 months for their car to be built. I was one of them. Took me by surprise because one month was told order a month prior only to be told when I did order there is now a 4 month wait. They were selling higher spec cars instead of the base Evoke. The same as today. This year there have been nearly 50/50 V8 to V6 sales. Us bogans are still buying this beast of a car. I think the cheap Daewoo cars hurt Holden and buyers don't want to be stung again. Personally I think the new Astra is an awesome car. I pick that as second to the Commodore right now....

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
When I saw the article yesterday, it read like somebody thinking out loud and coming to the conclusion that getting rid of the Holden name altogether was probably the right thing to do ! They detail why every association with that brand doesn't meet the target market, highlight how difficult it is to change this perception and then state that they are going to try anyway.....

I might have to change my original title from "Holden hates Commodore" to "Holden hates Holden" :)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I guess they could tell us a Trax is great for getting us & our 4 mates & our 6 slabs of XXXX to the GABBA to watch the State Of Origin...

That could actually work.
2 years ago I was shopping for a small SUV for a family member. It came to either a Trax, or a Kia Sportage for the same price.
Trax lost out because it didn’t have rear discs, matching spare wheel, 7 years factory warranty.
Kia won because it had all of the above, plus more ‘premium’ interior with comfortable seats.
With a blokey bogan image, those shortcomings of the Trax could be overlooked.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
But Commodore was still in the top 10.
Barely, month to month it changes. Wasnt even in the top 10 in April.

There are way too many cars to choose from now. That's the issue.
Correct, instead of being forced to buy a Falcon or Commodore if you wanted a 4 door 5 seat family car you can now buy a plethora of cars to do that job. Choice is a marvelous thing.

The VF sales were higher than Holden expected at launch.
Higher than expected but they didnt steady or improve. VF Sales are falling. (April 2017 to March 2017)
Holden Commodore – 1441 (down from 2081)

They were selling higher spec cars instead of the base Evoke.
This year there have been nearly 50/50 V8 to V6 sales. .[/QUOTE]

Could you share those sales figures please?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
It's easier to blame the bogan. Lol. Than admit you've been selling someone elses **** cars, in the right market segments for years, and severely damaged your own brand reputation. The mkt knows it. Just admit it and turn it around with good cars Holden. That's your challenge.

Spot on Cuda. It wasn't the local product that damaged Holden's reputation and brand image, it was the imported Daewoo garbage that was responsible for that. While Holden was busy slapping their badges on these disgraceful vehicles, other manufacturers were busy going from strength to strength with their products and forging their reputations. Fast forward to today and it's little wonder that buyers have walked away from Holden in droves.
Blaming the "bogan" for their poor image and sales decline is just a cop out. Where would they even be without the "bogan" customer who's $$$ supported them for years with purchases of high end SS's and HSV's which were no doubt highly profitable for them.
And now we have this pandering to the trendy, hipster, lgbtiwxyz crowd??? It makes me want to vomit!!!
As far as I'm concerned, Holden is officially dead once the last Commodore rolls off the line at Elizabeth.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That could actually work.
2 years ago I was shopping for a small SUV for a family member. It came to either a Trax, or a Kia Sportage for the same price.
Trax lost out because it didn’t have rear discs, matching spare wheel, 7 years factory warranty.
Kia won because it had all of the above, plus more ‘premium’ interior with comfortable seats.
With a blokey bogan image, those shortcomings of the Trax could be overlooked.
Except for the fact you've got Buckley's of fitting three full-grown male humans in the back of a jacked-up Barina!

But Commodore was still in the top 10. There are way too many cars to choose from now. That's the issue. The VF sales were higher than Holden expected at launch. Most people having to wait 4 months for their car to be built. I was one of them. Took me by surprise because one month was told order a month prior only to be told when I did order there is now a 4 month wait. They were selling higher spec cars instead of the base Evoke. The same as today. This year there have been nearly 50/50 V8 to V6 sales. Us bogans are still buying this beast of a car. I think the cheap Daewoo cars hurt Holden and buyers don't want to be stung again. Personally I think the new Astra is an awesome car. I pick that as second to the Commodore right now....
Plus have a look at every single vehicle with higher sales figures than Commodore.
All of them except the Mazda3, every single one, would have someone with even a passing interest in cars necking themself after the first half-hour of being stuck in the thing. And the current Mazda3's available are only acceptable transport, they're not exactly something you go hunting for a twisty country road in.
Not to mention all of them except the 3 being so dangerous due to such shocking road manners, which their clueless operators ignore while lurching around the roads eyes-closed.

Last edited:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline

Constant negativity in the press and the impending shutdown of local manufacturing certainly hasn't helped Commodore sales.
Unfortunately, the public has been misguided into believing the Commodore is an ancient gas guzzling dinosaur that is inferior to imported offerings.
"Nobody wants large cars anymore" the press used to scream to anybody that would listen.
If it weren't for this I believe Commodore sales wouldn't have been affected so badly.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I disagree, I think Commodore sales have slowed appreciably since they announced the death of Holden.
The real sustainable target-market is the V6 models, with the V8's being only a niche which has increased in sales because you won't be able to get anything like it ever again ... and those sales have backed right off since the market was made aware that Holden's going to be killed in a few months.

They were basically holding the same sales-position, at least among proper cars, for the years prior. All the poor drivers that need SUV's to compensate-for (and amplify their) bad driving are becoming more & more numerous due to societal & policing attitudes, and that's where all the Falcodore sales went ...