Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Proof Holden Hates Commodore

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
But ... well, except for a poxy gerlytruk you won't find many cars this side of 15 years of age that would use the same or more fuel, used in the same way.
Use a Jazz like that, it's 4.4L/100km.

I mean don't get me wrong, 8.8 is damned good in yesterday's terms, for something that weighs 1900kg and has as many fasts from a 6L engine. But it's not good in that usage in today's terms.

Mind you, I guess a lot of the Commodore's market-share did go to useless dangerous thirstier gerlytrux, didn't it?

I don't know about a Jazz Forg, but I also have a 2012 1.6 Fiesta manual, mostly used as a commuter in peak traffic, but it has done some highway trips. Those highway trips would see it at 7.0 l/100 Km (the same as it does around town averaging 30 Km/h). On the one hand 6.0 V8 on the highway 100 and 110 KM/h zones lopes along at about 1650 rpm and also drops off 4 cylinders on light throttle. Fiesta about 3,000 rpm, not that you really feel the revs in the Fiesta, it zips along quite well. Especially considering the price, I think they are very good little jiggers, drive very well. Around town averaging 30 Km/h of course Fiesta uses pretty much exactly half the fuel of the SS at the 30Km/h average speed. Looking at that instant fuel reading, that 3.0 l/h is higher than I see in either my VE SS AFM auto or my VX Clubby - the Clubby is usually about 2.6 or 2.7 l/hour, SS somewhere about 2.2 or 2.3 seems typical. Fiesta just .6 to .7 l/h

Edit, the 08 2.5 4 speed auto Forester my wife drives, on the highway usually about the same fuel as the SS or maybe just a little under, nothing in it.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I only specifically mentioned the Jazz 'cos I drove one home to Sydney from Tamworth a couple of months ago, there was a bit of slowing-down & roadworks & a fair bit of overtaking so not as thrifty as on a cruise-control Hume run or similar, and it average 4.8 or 4.9 (can't remember which sorry). It was the sort of driving & traffic which had the VS doing 10L/100, whereas it'd do 7L/100km on weekends away to Canberra.

So I do think the Jazz & similar would be mid 4's.
Mind you, it wasn't the most comfy thing to drive back from Tamworth. I mean it was OK, certainly better than the alternatives would've been; but I've sat in & fiddled-around in a Fiesta, that would've been a much nicer way to spend that 6 hours. :)

Agreed on Subarus being thirsty for their age. I think they may've gotten around to doing whatever everyone else has done though (maybe direct injection?) because I borrowed a mate's Toyobaru for 3-4 weeks & averaged ~8L/100km in the sort of usage that the VS Ecomoo got and also the Redline gets more like 15-17 (although the Toyobaru was manual so in that sort of use maybe it's not fair to compare).

Worst I can recall for fuel usage, for it's weight & performance, was an '82 Volvo 244GLE I failed to sell for my dad so just kept it. They had this 3spd BW35 'box which made the 100kW feel like 60, at 110 it was doing something like 3800rpm, the K-Jetronic injection was probably fine when under power but don't think it coped with low-load or lean running ... because that'd do 15L/100km cruising along the highway, and only weighed about 1200kg!

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
TBH I don't see the point of this debate. What is it exactly?
If you want a drivers car of this performance ilk, fun factor, N/A V8, size & weight (which brings safety benefits), you wont find better for the money. You'll struggle for double the money. Some would say for any money. If you don't, then enjoy the Jazz, or whatever you choose and the few or several hundred bucks a year you save in fuel.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
and the few or several hundred bucks a year you save in fuel.

And that is the key for me.

A few litres per 100km here or there does not make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things when you break it down.

It is like those who keep their V8 in the shed only for weekend drives coz it "costs too much in fuel as a daily" and go spend $20k or more on a 4 cyl coz it uses "so little fuel" yet fail to take into account the negative economics of the whole scheme, i.e. double insurance, double rego, double maintenance, double depreciation and either interest expense or lost opportunity costs (depending how they fund the purchase of the daily) for that $20k+ all the while having to endure the daily grind in a 4 cyl.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
But ... well, except for a poxy gerlytruk you won't find many cars this side of 15 years of age that would use the same or more fuel, used in the same way.
Use a Jazz like that, it's 4.4L/100km.
I mean don't get me wrong, 8.8 is damned good in yesterday's terms, for something that weighs 1900kg and has as many fasts from a 6L engine. But it's not good in that usage in today's terms.

Engine displacement has next to nothing to do with it, think rotary engine, two strokes, formula one, 2l puffed out with 30 psi to 6l wtf!? Perpetuating a popular but incorrect myth there.

Yes you can compare a micro car to a full sized sports sedan... you compare power/weight (performance factor) vs fuel consumption, then divide that by number of passengers travelling comfortably.
So performance vs fuel vs comfortable passenger carrying is fair:

2150 Kg Brawler Hauler with 630 BHP carries five Australian adults and travelling luggage:

120 kph, e85, 4cyl Mode

Urban mode (stop/start) tuned for AFM.

I have plenty more including long trips averaging 6.0l avg 116 kph and out whoop whoop doing 140 kph using 8.5l. That's better than a Prius.

Any way you look at it still pisses on a Jazz.

MOIRAE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII 6.2LS3 Calais
Another vote for the Gemini. My second car was an 82 SL/X with the 1.6 from memory. Was a great car before it got stolen.

And just to add... No matter which way I look at it I don't really want to squeeze three kiddy seats in the back seat of a Jazz.

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
I think people get a second car is probably more due to the fact of all the annoying people who opens doors on your car, general bad drivers and the fact more crashes occur on daily commute times. Just trying to keep their pride and joy accident free. People who care that much about fuel usage most likely ain't here talking about commodores and v8s

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
TBH I don't see the point of this debate. What is it exactly?
If you want a drivers car of this performance ilk, fun factor, N/A V8, size & weight (which brings safety benefits), you wont find better for the money. You'll struggle for double the money. Some would say for any money. If you don't, then enjoy the Jazz, or whatever you choose and the few or several hundred bucks a year you save in fuel.
BINGO

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
People who care that much about fuel usage most likely ain't here talking about commodores and v8s
Why? I care about fuel consumption and emissions and I'm always on here talking about the V8 Commodore. Is it because you are surrounded by pertrol stations and don't travel? Or don't drive that much anyway? Or don't pay for fuel as it's a company car? Or just don't care about $100 here / there?
Any of the above I'd say that's not typical.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think people get a second car is probably more due to the fact of all the annoying people who opens doors on your car, general bad drivers and the fact more crashes occur on daily commute times. Just trying to keep their pride and joy accident free. People who care that much about fuel usage most likely ain't here talking about commodores and v8s

People having a daily to avoid those issues is a different matter to those who have a daily to save fuel and there are plenty with the fuel saving mentality around, don't worry about that.....including members of this site.