Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Motor too tight to start.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
run your jump lead directly to the starter motor (where the batt+ cable goes) and if it fires better then the battery cable to the starter has too much resistance.

if a full battery wont crank it there is some issues. lack of voltage at the starter, weak solenoid engagement, or maybe something inside the donk aint right.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
You will only end up causing more grief for yourself e.g busted starter, busted electicals etc.

I still think you have not assembled the caps or rope seal correctly. Engines should never be so tight they can't be cranked after a rebuild. If they are there is a serious issue.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
It's getting looser, I can get half a crank out of it now.

Sent from your god, for you to worship and give money

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
This is rediculous, a motor (rebuilt, new, second hand, whatever) shouldn't be so tight that the starter motor can't turn it over (unless the starter is buggered). You need to pull it back out, tear it back down and fix whatever is wrong with it, because clearly something is wrong IMO. You either don't know how to do a rear main seal properly or one of the bearings is tight.

Seriously, fix it before you do some real damage.

I just recently put my 383 Chev together, it's tight, but it turns over with just a ratchet. That's with nearly 11:1 compression too by the way. That's with a neoprene seal, but a rope shouldn't be that much tighter if it's installed correctly. But it's also a brand new engine from top to bottom.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
How many Kay's did the old one last ? A new rear main should not lock up a engine and all your doin is wearing it down so when ya engine does turn over it will just leak again.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I'm not entirely sure it was the rear main leaking, could've been sump, that was leaking, but I done it since the engine was out anyway, I can turn it with a breaker bar, but only just, I think I'm just gunna pull the bastard apart again.

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
i know it seems like a pain in arse to pull the engine out again but if you dont your just guna have a rooted engine. id say your big end bearings are in wrong possibly the locater is in the wrong place or it moved when you bolted the main caps down

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
A major pain on the arse, but I'm gunna start pulling it back out to see what's gone wrong.