Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moving out of home?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Become a hobo, its the most cost effective way of living on ones own or moving out of home. And the big bonus is you pay no rent ;)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Cheers for the advice drawn :thumbsup:

dont take it or me seriously =P

but goodluck on the endevour. hopefully works out for you.

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
moved out when I was 21 to far north QLD, was there untill just before I was 23 but then came home with my tail between my legs (missus was a bitch so I bailed after she had sucked the bank account dry) was just back on my feet with good job n was saving to only get hit by a car when I was on my bike. 9 months later I get out of hospital with no job or money, 2 years later im given the stamp of approval to go get back to work.

27 now, still at home but construction of my house shall begin in the next 4-6 weeks so im looking forward to that...only prob was 300k for land then 220k for house not including furnioshing, gardens, painting, flooring etc :(

Last edited:

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
What an overwhelming response! haha did not expect that

Its good to hear everyones stories/opinions and advice though :)

my plans are to hopefully move out, rent a house somewhere close to work so im not paying bulk dosh on fuel, only spend money on stuff we have to and only splurge small amounts when we have money saved

What would be the minimum wage of a couple (combined) to live comfortably assuming rent and food together (excl. bills) would be roughly 350 a week?
If we both earn minimum 600 a week we should be ok right?

Basically, you need minimum $1000 between you two weekly, that will let you live comfortably, not stress too much, late bills aren't always that bad if paid within a couple of days if due the day is before pay day, sonar 1200 a week, you'll be comfortable, and over time you'll have some cash saved... You should be able to save at least $200 a week.

Best thing to do is change all your globes to energy saving ones, keep the heater at 22c max, use the cooling only if you have to, clothes horse instead of dryer, close the blinds at night, (think of windows as big holes) and turn anything off your not using at the point. (lights, spare freezer, tb and acc over night.)

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I moved out with my girlfriend [Now Fiancee] when we were around 19, and we moved in with our friend, then me, my missus, our friend and her bf all moved into a house together. Worst year of my life. As much as you know friends, DON'T live with them, they WILL show their true habits. I love them to death but couldn;t stand another day with them, so my gf and I moved out by ourselves and love it. Sure, rent money is dead money, but when you need at least $30,000 to put on a house, it's the best we can get right now, especially with a wedding to plan too.

Also yeah, cancel any plans on modding the car unless you have a very good job. or learn to manage your money REALLY well.

Also, we pay $310 a week rent, and bills are usually only around $100 - 200 every now and again.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I was 15 when I moved out.
I couldn't get out quick enough due to a step dad from hell.
Went to a college for a short stint (maritime college). But couldn't find work to keep going on with that line of work/ training.
I've been living her eand there including HOLLAND. Don't remember much of Holland :).
Too many "COFFEE SHOPS" :;):
Not much benefit to your cause though. Was going to say something else but forgot.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I moved out with my girlfriend [Now Fiancee] when we were around 19, and we moved in with our friend, then me, my missus, our friend and her bf all moved into a house together. Worst year of my life. As much as you know friends, DON'T live with them, they WILL show their true habits. I love them to death but couldn;t stand another day with them, so my gf and I moved out by ourselves and love it. Sure, rent money is dead money, but when you need at least $30,000 to put on a house, it's the best we can get right now, especially with a wedding to plan too.

Also yeah, cancel any plans on modding the car unless you have a very good job. or learn to manage your money REALLY well.

Also, we pay $310 a week rent, and bills are usually only around $100 - 200 every now and again.

Yeah was same here, I was living at home and girlfriend living was living with a close friends parents as her family moved away.

We both moved into her friends house with her friend, her friends friend and us.

Her friends friend moved out and then the 3 of us moved again then her bf moved in... then we moved again.

Its been crap since we first moved in but we never had money for full bond and costs associated with moving....

Recently got another loan... to get my transmission fixed and also so we both can move.. just need to find a place that will accept us and we'll get the fk out of this house.

Our room is literally just enough size for a queen bed, the tv on a stand touching the end of the bed and enough room to open the door.

Their room has enough room around the bed they can walk completely around it and have tv unit and 2 bedside tables.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Basically, you need minimum $1000 between you two weekly, that will let you live comfortably, not stress too much, late bills aren't always that bad if paid within a couple of days if due the day is before pay day, sonar 1200 a week, you'll be comfortable, and over time you'll have some cash saved... You should be able to save at least $200 a week.

Best thing to do is change all your globes to energy saving ones, keep the heater at 22c max, use the cooling only if you have to, clothes horse instead of dryer, close the blinds at night, (think of windows as big holes) and turn anything off your not using at the point. (lights, spare freezer, tb and acc over night.)

yeah i was thinking about that, if we both earn 1200 combined i think we should be alright :)
Looking for a job in the mines/rail though and get out of the job im in at the moment so hopefully one day ill be getting good money and have no stress at all... wish me luck

As for stuff around the house to save money , i do that at home now anyways lol so im used to doing it.
Minus the energy saving globes