Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 through standard sound system

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
6 be, or not 6 be...

Phreddy said:
...I got mine [grilles] from eBay for less than half of what Holden were charging...
...If you are running the 6x9s off the head unit though, you'll need to disconnect the back door speakers, otherwise there will be too much load on the internal amps and they might fail.

Thanks for the tip on the grilles - in the mail as I type - lol.
As for the overload... what? Is this what is meant by the 50Wx4? Does that mean that they can't be spliced? I'm about to get an aftermarket system installed - will I have to invest in a power-amp to maintain a six speaker setup?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey vy_acclaim.

Don't panic Mate.... What I was talking about is that the inbuilt amplifier in the H/U is only designed to work into a minimum 4 ohm load. When you put two 4 ohm speakers in parallel (which is what you're doing when you splice into the existing door speaker wiring) the load become 2 ohms. This will cause too much current to flow in the power amp inside the H/U, and it will overheat and eventually fail.

HOWEVER....

If you're amp-ing your entire system, then you're only constrained by the output impedance limits of the external amp - if it's able to drive 2 ohm loads, you're gigglin'. Not sure which 50x4 amp you're planning on, but just get someone to go over the specs with you.

(btw - are you planning on running your amp using high-to-low level converters?? YUCK!! You need my low level output mod......:D)

Cheerz!

Edit: oops! Didn't quite read your post properly! :embarrass
If I were you - this is purely my own opinion - I'd get an amp (say, 2x80W) and run the 6x9s out of that chappy. Then you can leave the four door speakers running from the H/U, without potentially blowing up the onboard amp chips. More of a spend I know, but it'll surely be worth it.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Cheers - thanks for the reply. I do have another question - new to the whole audio thing... Does an external amp horde the 4x connections from the head unit? Does this mean I can't attach speakers to the head unit? The amp I am considering can support 35Wx4 @ 4 ohms; 100Wx2 @ 4 ohms (bridged); 50Wx4 @ 2ohms - (4 channel 400w). Will this do the job? Thanks.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No Worries.

It depends on exactly how it's been hooked up, but there's no reason why the external amps should "horde" the channel outputs.

Speaking only for my RCA out mod, the internal amps in the head unit still function totally normally. In most cases they wouldn't be used (as the speakers would be driven from the external amp), but for example when you want to sell the car but keep your "good gear", you simply restore the speaker connections to the head unit outputs, and Bob's your Auntie's live-in lover. ;)

I'd suggest with the amp you wish to use, that your front channels would be 2x35W (single speaker load of 4 ohms), and your rear channels would run 2x50W given that you'll be running parallel pairs of speakers, therefore a 2 ohm load.

Make sense??

Cheerz!

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Cheers

Thanks mate - you're a champ. That sounds like a plan - will instruct the guys at strathfield as per your instructions... I'll let you know how it sounds... :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
My pleasure Bloke! Glad to help.

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Make sure you have a good look over the install when they've "finished". The blokes at Stratho's can be a bit bodgey if you don't keep an eye on 'em. Just a thort. ;)

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Can I unplug the front speakers?

Hi Phreddy!
Long time no speak...Firstly, everything (lights, stereo, mp3 input) is running fine - very happy customer :)
Second, I have not forgotten about the mobile phone mod although I have not been in a big hurry to fix it - so far only been caught out once.

Most importantly, I want to use your front channel low level outs to power upgraded front door speakers. Is it safe to simply unplug the existing speakers from the stereo without damage to the amp? Do you know if the dash board tweeters will still be powered from the head unit?

Lastly, is it possible to run a signal wire from the headunit to power up the amp? I currently power it from an accessory live although would like to coordinate the power with the headunit.

Cheers,
Mark.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Mark - sorry I took so long getting back Mate.

You can unplug the speakers no problem. In fact, with no load on the H/U, it'll run a lot cooler too! As for the tweets in the dash - if you're putting in higher quality splits you'll probably get an outboard crossover network with them. The factory wiring just splits near the door and runs up to the tweeter, the standard crossover being simply a capacitor in series. My recommendation is to re-run the wiring to both the door speaker AND the new tweeter - it's a PITA to get the cable through that convoluted rubber thing, but persevere - you'll get there. I reckon it's just easier - and better results - than trying to find the split in the factory harness, disconnecting the tweeter run, trying to muont the crossover somewhere so the stock wiring will reach....

Meh - just run new and better quality wiring.

Oh - and on your last point - Mate, that's what the purple wire coming out of the mod harness is for! ;) That's the amp remote trigger - independent of the accessories, it only allows the amp(s) to power up when the stereo is running. Incidentally, if you do tha "accessory override" thing by just hitting the "on" button (where the unit runs for about an hour without the Acc then shuts off) that sets the remote signal for the amp too, which if you're running off the Acc wire yours won't be at the moment. (just don't run it too long though!! heh - at least you can do a clutchy like me!;) had to once as well! :D)

Got another favour to ask too Mate - e-mail to follow.

Cheerz!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
A new button!!

G'day all.

After all this time I've finally gotten around to doing something a little better with the Aux In button.

I got a switch from Holden - an "interior blackout" switch - and modified the button cap. A couple of pics attached - the illuminated one is just the standard green colour, of course the one I've prepared for my car has a blue LED in it. ;)

I also managed to squeeze a yellow indicator LED in one corner - it lights up to show when the Aux is selected.

Doesn't look too bad, if I do say so myself! :D

Cheerz!

Attachments

• AuxBtnFactory2.jpg
    AuxBtnFactory2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 626
  • AuxBtnFactory3.jpg
    AuxBtnFactory3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 599

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride