Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Multiple Fault Codes

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
if there is no draw and the battery is good then what is causing the battery to drop voltage to the point it causes errors with the vehicles canbus?
no clue at all. All I can think of is maybe the battery isn't holding its charge and potentially failing slowly but not enough to show on the battery test.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I suspect 320mA is too high and not an acceptable parasitic draw with most modern cars being in the range of 50 - 100mA. though found nothing in a quick check of the VF workshop manual.

But i agree with stooge, something is causing battery drain and the dealers either has no clue or can't be faffed spending the hours needed to solve the issue.

What's of interest is the service manual states a vehicle wont go to sleep if the transmitter is within range. So if you park your car in the garage and then drop your keys in the hall side table which shares a wall with the garage, then maybe, just maybe that key is being detected and that is stopping the car from going to sleep.

Also of interest, you could try and put the car into "transport mode" which reduces parasitic current draw even more and allows up to 70 days before tha battery goes dead. you can find this on page 7749 of the VF service manual on post #9 here .

There is also another way to more easily test parasitic current draw on each fuse without removing the fuses so avoids the issue of the system potentially jumping out of sleep mode :p

PS: the above method is supposedly unreliable for fuses >25A but the issue with our complex cars is that a parasitic current can be large but intermitant and thus could be easily missed whatever methid is used (unless your methodical and really take your time). Here's another video that goes into some more of that detail (though it's ford centric)...

Last edited:
Reactions: HDJ

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Surely it's too high. I did mine recently and got 10% of that, 32ma
Of course each car is different but to be so different can't be right.

Make sure you put the multimeter +ve to the fused slot, then disconnect negative battery lead and connect the multimeter between battery negative and car's negative lead. (I used a hose clamp to hold the cable down).

It might be worth doing again.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Surely it's too high. I did mine recently and got 10% of that, 32ma
Of course each car is different but to be so different can't be right.
I cant remember correctly he showed me the reading on his phone it either said 0.023 or 0.23. the battery is only a few months old apparently and is rated at 760cca however the machine showed 561cca. not sure if that is normal after a few months. its a supercharge battery.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I cant remember correctly he showed me the reading on his phone it either said 0.023 or 0.23. the battery is only a few months old apparently and is rated at 760cca however the machine showed 561cca. not sure if that is normal after a few months.
Fair enough but there is a big difference there! One will drain a battery, one wont.

I'll let the experts answer the CCA but I dont think it has heaps to do with slow voltage drain, especially if when charged the car is reading 12.6 or so.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Auto electrician just called it’s drawing 0.01amps after sitting for 30mins and when testing battery initially it came back as 12.7 fully charged and machine showed battery in good health however after an hour it dropped down to 12.4v and machine indicated battery is faulty. Finally an end to this back and fourth mess with Holden.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Auto electrician just called it’s drawing 0.01amps after sitting for 30mins and when testing battery initially it came back as 12.7 fully charged and machine showed battery in good health however after an hour it dropped down to 12.4v and machine indicated battery is faulty. Finally an end to this back and fourth mess with Holden.
Let's hope that's the solution!

Reactions: HDJ

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i figured it was the battery, lets hope that once you replace it all the issues end.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Alternator is running from 14.9-15v while driving isn’t this a bit high?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Alternator is running from 14.9-15v while driving isn’t this a bit high?

Modern/smart alternators have the ability for variable charging voltages with the vehicles computer controlling it.