Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 08 SSV ute

beej2beej

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE ssv A6
hey guys! long needed update on this car of mine. was booked in pretty much to get new lifters installed and potentially a bigger cam with a converter but upon arrival to the shop to drop my car off to get this work done i was informed he were too busy and it would have to be another 3 weeks! at the time this lifter noise was getting pretty bad and i also needed my car well before christmas, so did the calling around thing and forum reading on who had good experiences and where. so i was led to oztrack, after speaking with steve on the phone i was pretty happy i chose them, he is a really really nice guy and offered great service and advise! so dropped my car off there for them to asses this suss lifter and they found that a lifter had worn like a 3mm groove into a cam lobe, the cam bearings were stuffed as well (potentially from the factory oil releif valve jamming) SO i decided on a 3600 stall, HPS cam which the guys talked me into their HPO cam as the converter would work nice with it, has new dual valve springs (which seem a little noisy, normal??), moly pushrods, roller rockers, howards lifters, new cam and conrod bearings and piston rings done! lol plus it all chemically cleaned!! all up with a small squirt around penrith and a few hits on the dyno it made 330kw...... it drives great although i feel there could be maybe just a little more tweaking done to get it really good, the converter is awesome its a triple plate one so locks up pretty good for the highway, and it idles tough as! really choppy and lumpy (which ill try and get a vid up!) so yeah there is the update and hopfully nothing else goes to **** lol
cheers!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Nice ute mate.
Can you feel the extra 16 odd kw? What did you think of the old comp cam, was there a big difference in preformance from before the comp cam went in to after it was installed?
I'm currently going through the whole no oil pressure thing, it's quite the pita....

Dannyp

8ball
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS UTE
Hey mate love the ute looks awesome and by the sounds of it, goes very hard too. Good to see a canberran too :p

beej2beej

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE ssv A6
Nice ute mate.
Can you feel the extra 16 odd kw? What did you think of the old comp cam, was there a big difference in preformance from before the comp cam went in to after it was installed?
I'm currently going through the whole no oil pressure thing, it's quite the pita....

hard to say in a way the HPO feels more efficient (its the biggest you can fit with stock pistons in the l98) but with the converter and stuff, its pretty hard to say, it def pulls a bit harder up top but its also hard to remember as it was a while between thrashings from the old cam to the new one (to be honest i dont even drive the thing that hard now out of fear something else will go wrong lol) i think there may be a bit extra to be had from it maybe.

beej2beej

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE ssv A6
Hey mate love the ute looks awesome and by the sounds of it, goes very hard too. Good to see a canberran too :p

hey man, cheers, just need to get some neat wheels, just leaning towards the 20' g8s (series 1 hsv gts wheel style) in either black or white lol.... it is good to see another canberra'n on here as well, we seem a bit out numbered by interstate guys here haha.

Dannyp

8ball
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS UTE
Lol we are severely out numbered. Its all good we are underdogs :) yeah i like those wheels. Also really like supersports on utes.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
how much did jake charge for a tune and a cam