Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 66' impala hardtop :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeehaw! That came up mint :D

I need to get my elbows stuck into the chrome around my HQ, I rekon it could come up that good too.

It's amazing what a difference a bit of bling makes :D You should put that same elbow grease into the engine! Or aren't you keeping it for long enough to make it worthwhile?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this is gonna be the missus' daily, yes, i can see your confused looks, but the goal is to have the VK as the silly tyre burning, fuel consuming car, and this as the car that comes and picks me up when i have blown a diff...

the engine is gonna go either of two ways; the cheap way, or the not cheap way.

at the moment, the cheap way is lookin' good. its got a mental stuck lifter at the moment so "TAKA TAKA TAKA" is really annoying, and the simplest fix is sending some cash to the much loved AT racing world so they can supply me with one of their top quality 150 dollar cam/lifter packages... did i mention they have manifolds for 95 dollars?!?!? the carb that is on this is the weirdest things i have ever seen. its a square bore 4 pot, but its about 15mm all round smaller than holley. i have two quaddies and two holleys and they are are all USELESS. an adapter is 150 bucks, or i can get a whole manifold for 95?@?!?! how the f.. does that work?.... anyway.

once i get my 308 back from the rebuild, my buddy and i are gonna set to and strip down the front to clean up the engine bay. he is a panel beater and i am better at wiring so he owes me for re wiring his 77 ford galaxie :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
managed to do a couple of things this weekend;

new blue racer cam, which is pretty much stock profile.
new lifters
new edelbrock performer inlet manifold
quadrajet, which may be getting changed to my modded 600 double pumper

my mate fixed a big dent in the rear passenger door, but in doing so knocked a bunch of old bog out, so itll be getting rubbed back next weekend. lots and lots and lots more body work to be done.

window winders fixed so all windows now work, but of wiring dodgied up so i have brake lights and interior lights.

just had all 4 drums reco'd cos' she didnt like stopping. gonna replace the master cylinder today or tomorrow, depending on when i get my 308 block back from the builder (the commodore takes work preference as it is registered and i am a bit sick of driving on a trade plate).

rear right hand shock absorber had broken off its top mount so a couple of bolts and a plate of 4mm steel later and she doesnt bounce around anymore.

ummm, i think thats it. she drives a zillion times better.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok some quick pics

the engine in bits;
100_0635.jpg

dummy fit of my mates chev rallys;
100_0639.jpg

and the completed donk;
100_0642.jpg

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The wheels look a treat ^_^

good to see some fast progress coming along! At least you're not short of space to work in the engine bay :p

How bad was the rogue lifter? :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It would be AMAZING :p Similar to stopping a bullet with a fly swat I imagine :p

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
It would be AMAZING :p Similar to stopping a bullet with a fly swat I imagine :p

that is the best analogy ive heard in ages lmao

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
How bad was the rogue lifter? :p

*sigh* well.... actually, after all my bluster of a noisy lifter taka taka taka etc, then buying a stock cam and lifters (not cheap) it turns out that the problem was actually quite simple, the nuts that hold the rockers on are self locking and one of them had snapped where the locking tab bit is.

one thing leads to another, tappet loosens over time, gets more and more distance between itself and the valve top, *tada!!* enter the taka taka taka noise.

so instead of spending 300 bucks, i SHOULD have just taken the rocker cover off, spotted the loose tappet INSTANTLY and replaced it with one of the ones we had sitting around.

hence my sigh. but at least i know what cam is in my car now, and i shouldnt need to do it again for a long time.

you should see the tappet though :) i reckon a couple of hundred kms more and the valve woulda gone out the other side of it. will get pics tomorrow :D