Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new daily: VX SS

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Old thread but wondering if you tracked down the rattle you mentioned when you got the car?

No, sorry. It's still there. I believe it's coming from the transmission now, only really happens when 1st or 2nd kicks in, makes a grinding noise :L.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Sweet as, I have a metallic rattly sound coming from the front drivers side but only under very low load and lowish RPM does it sound familiar?

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Sweet as, I have a metallic rattly sound coming from the front drivers side but only under very low load and lowish RPM does it sound familiar?

Honestly not sure man, sorry.

UPDATE

Bought a new front bumper from Ebay because the current one isn't lined up properly. Also, bought some new rims; 20" G8's in gloss black. The current rims have a fair bit of gutter rash and it seems like the powder coating is flaking. Need to get the rear springs changed for ones which are a bit lower and the rear guards rolled before I chuck them on too. Bought a pair of Sway bar link rods, and front stabilizer bushes which i'm going to install tomorrow. Current ones are probably worn considering they've more than likely never been changed.

Here's some photos:

arBhxMQ.jpg

IsjV3A3.png

v2E9W7D.png

Also, anybody know why the tyre is sitting on the rim like this:

KnxJA8I.jpg

There's a fairly big gap between the wall of the tyre and the rim. Incorrect tyre, or?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hard to see on my phone but What is the width of that rim? If it's 9.5 wide a 245 tyre would be stretched and can look like that I think..R they your old rims?
Nice goodies you picked up there.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Hard to see on my phone but What is the width of that rim? If it's 9.5 wide a 245 tyre would be stretched and can look like that I think..R they your old rims?
Nice goodies you picked up there.

Sorry for the late a reply man! I'm honestly not sure what size the rim is (got them with the car), but they do seem fairly wide. The car is nearly standard height at the back but they clip the inner lip of the guard, so they'll need to be rolled it seems.

Got a bit of an update!

Installed a new head unit (Pioneer AVH-X5700DAB) today and replaced the console compartment door:

4dZH6Ub.jpg

Also bought a Tru Trac diff centre with 3.7 gears too (forgot to add this to the last update. still not installed yet though):

BvYrY2E.jpg

Only bought them cause the diff is whining pretty bad. My mechanic has told me it's the bearings, so i thought i might as well get it done with an upgrade!

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Your old rims might be 9 inch or wider and have an incorrect offset which pushes the wheel/ tyre out closer to the guard but your new wheels should fit fine if they are Holden made for Commodores or replicas as normally the offset would suit. I bought some new 20 inch x8.5 versus enduros recently ( page 1 of my ride build link)and the offset and extra width pushed 3mm more outwards towards the guard compared to my old ssv 19x8 thunders but they still clear the guard lip with no rolling.
Good choice with the 3.7 gears, they will wake up the car for sure. Is your new stereo a DVDs player also? Was wanting to upgrade my single din non dvd one..Looks like yours fits nice.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Your old rims might be 9 inch or wider and have an incorrect offset which pushes the wheel/ tyre out closer to the guard but your new wheels should fit fine if they are Holden made for Commodores or replicas as normally the offset would suit. I bought some new 20 inch x8.5 versus enduros recently ( page 1 of my ride build link)and the offset and extra width pushed 3mm more outwards towards the guard compared to my old ssv 19x8 thunders but they still clear the guard lip with no rolling.
Good choice with the 3.7 gears, they will wake up the car for sure. Is your new stereo a DVDs player also? Was wanting to upgrade my single din non dvd one..Looks like yours fits nice.

Yeah, that would be the case. I think i'm gonna get rid of the G8's unfortunately. They don't seem like they would clear the current height and i don't want to pay more on the suspension at this point :L, and the price of a 20inch tyre, i've heard they're expensive. Looking at buying some 19inch SSV Rims, which should fit straight on, hopefully i can pick a set up which are already pre ve-drilled. I like the idea of having 2 sets of different coloured rims, whenever i get bored of the MOMO's i'll chuck the SSV's on. I need to get the MOMO's resprayed though, they've got a fair bit of gutter rash, as i've said earlier. Hoping the gears will help. I was considering 3.9's but i do a bit of highway driving everyday and i don't really want the RPM's being too high while on it.

I believe it's a DVD player too BUT, it's got some restrictions. I've never installed a head unit before, so i kinda rushed it this time.. Left out a few things, the main on being the handbrake sensor. So, now i can't watch any movies via USB (running a cord into the glove box) because the h/u think the car is always moving and it deems it a safety risk to watch it while driving. I haven't tried using a DVD though, only through my phone's USB. It's annoying, but i doubt i would ever use it to play anything like that anyway, i can still play songs through the phone and charge it. The fit doesn't look too bad, a bit crooked, but oh well. I got a mounting kit off of ebay with an ISO adapter cable which worked fine, didn't really go in right though, i think the h/u is quite big so it was a really tight fit. Didn't fit the bluetooth microphone though, had no idea how to run it up the a pillar, may go back at some point and add it if it's too annoying without one.

Apart from that, the h/u is great. Exactly what i wanted; Pandora works great through the Bluetooth which has good quality, there's a ton of EQ settings, it's digital radio and GPS ready and has the option to have a backup camera too.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
If your g8 wheels are 8.5 wide with an offset of 45ish with 245 wide /30 profile then they should be fine even better if they are 8 inch wide..ATR sport 2 20 inch tyres in that profile are only about $130 each and they are pretty reasonable for the price..only thing is they are directional tread so you can only rotate them front to back and not left to right..got them on my new rims and no complaints so far..Yeah but SSV 19eens with 245/35/19 will fit no problems but centre bore needs a bit of drilling as you know..
Gears..on my auto box at 100kms/ph the taco sits on 2200 with 3.7 gears so you could have gone with 3.9 gears in a six speed manual and it would still sit below that I reckon but 3.7 is still an improvement..
Most head units with dvd need to be wired to the handbrake switch for safety so you will have to do that to watch dvd's when stationary..There's a bypass kit you can buy but wouldn't want to watch movies while driving anyway..Like that ur unit supports android phones so that's a bonus..

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
pbEYt25.jpg

Picked up a Karcher last weekend, the snow foam arrived today :)

New Genuine Gear stick & Boot:

jHXnZbm.jpg

Last edited: