Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah once u get sum rubber sleeve to go over the edge to seal it up it will be very good.

Atleast you took the time to make a proper shield for the pod not just take off the box n wack it on.

Yeah suspention on vn's are crap, especailly when they are lowered, i replaced my rear bush'es 2 times in 3yrs, and there not cheap or a easy job.

Good luck with it all

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
looks like i'll have an LSD soon:yeah: then it's going to be time to get a burner and do myself a decent tune for the old girl:whistling

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
added another pic of the shielded POD setup with VN CAI setup. it's now fully sealed and working great. i'll also be doing a "how to" for the exhaust heat shield when i complete the one for the missus VS. it'll include dimensions for all the spacings for the holes etc and the slight variations for the VN-VR and ecotec versions. haven't had a chance to strip the LSD diff outa the inlaws crashed BT1 one yet but hopefully i'll get it soon:whistling

Attachments

• crashed BT1  front and rear damage 002.jpg
    crashed BT1 front and rear damage 002.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,091
  • crashed BT1  front and rear damage 001.jpg
    crashed BT1 front and rear damage 001.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 842

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
timewarp update

big thanks to 14secvp for burning the SV3800 tune on a spare memcal for me. :thumbsup: have had a quick play with it and bottom end power seems much better although top end doesn't seem better at all (as tested with Gtech) which leads me to believe even more so now that the rattly muffler is chocking the exhaust. So to solve that problem i have a 2.5" zorst on order, should be here next week.

due to the lack of traction problems with the new tune i finally decided to pull finger and sort out the diff, so i've got the LSD fitted by the local diff outfit. he supplied 3.45 gears ($150), reco'd the LSD and fitted the lot for $300 total :D he's also suggested i fit an alloy diff cover to help cool it better and the biggest front sway bar i can find to help keep the drivers side rear tyre from single spinning as this is what will wear the LSD quickly. he suggested doing left handed O's for this reason as well.

So the new LSD is bloody tight, any hint of dirt etc when going around tight bends/round-a-bouts etc you can hear the inside wheel chirp as you go around etc. which leads me to my next problem, i'm suffering from axle tramp now, when cornering with little or no throttle all is fine but if you try to power out of a corner it feels like the diff is bouncing.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alloy diff cover & oil temp gauges

So i went to the wreckers and picked up the alloy diff cover from a XD/XF falcon. cleaned it up at work on my last night shift and have started to polish it. still need to drill and tap a 1/8" npt thread so that i can mount the sender for the autometer diff temp gauge i've got coming from summit racing, should be here next week i hope. the theory is that the alloy will conduct the heat out of the oil better then the standard pressed steel cover to help the diff survive longer.

i've also got a Autometer trans temp and oil temp gauge coming along with a remote oil filter mount. one thing i've never liked about the V6 engines is there tiny oil filters, with the remote filter mount i will be able to double the size of the oil filter and there is also room on the remote mount to fit an oil temp probe so that way i won't need to weld a fitting into the sump which is a lot more hassle. with the way the new filter will be mounted, changing the oil filter will be a no mess job also as it will screw vertically up into the mount instead of on the side of the block as it is now.

Attachments

• alloy diff cover 001.jpg
    alloy diff cover 001.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,554
  • alloy diff cover 002.jpg
    alloy diff cover 002.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2,260
Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2.5" zorst

so the new 2.5" zorst is here. pushed it under the car too see that everything was where it needed to be and what do you know, it's a foot short. so back on the blower to the supplier. he tells me it's a CAT back system. great, the mighty VN never had a CAT. :bang: another easy job thats quickly going the wrong way. the supplier gave a bit of 2.5" pipe, went and got some flanges yesterday morning and ready to put it all together. welded the flange on at work this morning and grabbed the portable welder to finish it off at home, bolted it all up, cut extension to legth with second flange etc, plugged the arc welder in, strike an arc on some scrap to warm it up but it won't strike an arc :bang: things are going wrong this morning. bugger, drive it to work as is, turns out i had grabbed some special rods that are bitch to arc. finished it off and bolted all together.

fired it up this morning with only the headers and Y pipe, sounded bloody awsome, my boys though i'd got the V8 outa the garage (i wish, gotta fix that too) with the 2.5" system on i don't think it sounds that great, maybe get rid of the rear resonator and either put a straight pipe in there or maybe a hotdog. for another day however. just gotta sort the suspension now and maybe some tints and get my 17's back on there

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
good too see you got it on least now you can change mufflers and stuff too get it too sound good what brand of exhaust was it in the end

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rage, gonna have to live with it for awhile, might get the missus t odrive it so i can hear it from the outside and decide if like it or not

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gtech testing

went out this morning for a quick play, since fitting the LSD with 3.45 gears and 2.5" exhaust i hadn't had a chance to go out and have a play although it definitly felt faster driving it around. this morning i did a 15.2 @ 92mph 1/4 mile, thats still with the 14" wheels. power wise ive gained 10rwkw and 19.5nm of torque. looks like the stock zorst with rattly muffler was holding it back as i was consistenly only get 16.0 with the 14" wheels and with SV3800 tune

unfortunatly i do have a leaking wheel bearing seal, also just picked up a speedo corrector kit from jaycar this morning

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
my new autometer gauges and remote oil filter mount are here. i'll be able to double the size of my oil filter now;) looks like i've got a few things to fit up this week. i've still got my line locker sitting in the garage also:D

been thinking last night, when i put my 14" wheels back on i lost .2 consistently over the 1/4mile. so with a new set of 17" tyres and revised shift points i should in theory be able to get into the 14's as is. my new goal is to get into the 14's as soon as and put a few V8's to shame. at the Fathers day drags on the weekend there were plenty that couldn't do 14's