Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So the car is getting a bit of a birthday now, just picked up 20 liters of 15w-40 oil for a really good price and got some new Bosch sports leads as well as i'm not impresssed with the eagle leads i've had in the past.

ohh ok yeh thats what i was thinkin of doin aswell, just wasnt sure if the bottom bar would block all the air from flowing through?

or is it in line with all those small gaps in the bottom bar? do you know if it gets decent airflow?

thanks dude

must work ok, with my CAI/pod setup, 3.45 gears and basic tune i still get 7liters/100km if driven nicely and 10liters/100km if driven in a manor in which speeding tickets are a foregone conclusion :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
intake manifold

my intake manifold is toast :bang:

there is some corrosion around the water jacket area, exactly where the seal on the intake manifold gaskets sits. no way it will ever seal. looks like a casting in-perfection :(

tried cleaning it up with a die grinder but it goes fairly deep :cry:

Had to accelerate my plans some for the spare engine, i've stripped the manifold of the spare engine gonna port match it and get it cleaned up etc if i can't get the original manifold fixed for a reasonable price then the spare manifold will go on

edit: port matching when you don't have access to a milling machine is a pain in the ass. had to do it with a die grinder. bloody difficult trying to get nice straight lines etc

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Car is back together and running. only used water for now until the gaskets settle. torqued the manifold bolts in 3 stages to ensure a good seal. final stage 14nm which is slightly firmer then the gregories 12nm :D

certainly seems to want to rev more. haven't really had a chance to drive it yet but it pulls much better right through the revs although as my tacho is competely inaccurate i have no idea about the revs and i'm not keen to hit the limiter.

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
Good to see it up and running again atmo still, when you did the intake did you take into account the aproach angle of the ports in the heads to manifold. Hell mate working an alloy manifold with a die grinder is peice o piss compared to cast iron.
You need to get some g-tech numbers of what its putting out now as a baseline before putting some decent heads on it and doing a comparison :smoking:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, i took the runner angles into consideration (i just noticed i didn't put up any pics :( )

still got a few issues though. engine has a high RPM vibration :cry: which i still haven't been able to track down. using the IR gun at work, i found the middle cylinder on the drivers side head to be running about 80 degrees hotter then the rest, i take this to be the cylinder with a dodgy injector which i'll swap out today with one i've had soaking in carb cleaner for a day. then i'll re test with the IR gun and see what it does.

die grinding alloy isn't bad, unfortunately my compressor at home is a touch to small so i need to stop once in a while to let it catch up :(

Attachments

• port matching intake manifold 001.jpg
    port matching intake manifold 001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 622

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
unfortunately my compressor at home is a touch to small so i need to stop once in a while to let it catch up :(

yeah m8 that, the wail of the grinder and the compressor constantly running convinced me to splash out and buy a decent electric die grinder - they may be unaware but i'm sure the neighbours appreciate it too late at night

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah m8 that, the wail of the grinder and the compressor constantly running convinced me to splash out and buy a decent electric die grinder - they may be unaware but i'm sure the neighbours appreciate it too late at night

i'm not worried about pissing of the neighbours, the prissy bitch needs a real man and not that gay looking guy she calls her husband :D but i don't do this kind of work at night

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
changed over a dicky injector and engine vibrations is mostly gone now at high rpms. although at high speed when you snap the throttle closed there is a bad vibration under the car now :( i think the center hanger bearing/support is probably a bit tired

on it goes..........

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha never ending mate least shes going

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Very quick VN you have here! and excellent on fuel as well!

You reckon your heatshielding work would have played a part in its power and economy?