Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS series 2 5.0 manual Ute

H

harrop.senator

I fitted a high torque to mind and beefed up the wiring.

Blew the auto 5k later and it's not been on the road since but didn't have issues after it.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Ok cool, thanks mate, I’ll look into the Hi Torque ones

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Honestly it may not just be the starter. Check all your main wiring first. It could be damaged, frayed or corroded. Heat increases resistance so I'd start there, it's free. Grab a multimeter and check the leads for resistance and voltage drop.

H

harrop.senator

As ephect said man I've had degredation of wiring too.

Think of it likes beers at the pub.

Of you're under .05 it's okay.

If you're statically drawing more then that you have an issue.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
So finally had the Ute go in for a service and a coolant flush after noticing the overflow bottle was almost empty, and some staining on the driveway. Not surprised to find out I need a new radiator. Bloke (who is my dads mate who owns the shop) reckons the ignition barrel is cooked as well, and you could the start the car with any key, haha. He reckons that’s what could be causing the hot start issue, but I’m not convinced, still reckon it’s the heat from the extractors getting to starter motor. Wait and see I guess. So it’ll be over a grand for all of it, that’s including all the drive belts and hoses which were really worn. Expected it to be needing a bit of work for how old it is, and good to know it’s slowly getting stuff fixed as I go.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Took it for a drive today, got home, turned it off and tried to start it again, still doing same as before, really slow to turn over. So I reckon it’s definitely the heat soak issue for the starter motor. Anyone used the heat shield that you can get off eBay or from Super Cheap? Is it something I’d need to take the starter motor off to wrap it, or can you just wrap it while it’s in place??

H

harrop.senator

You talking heat wrap or shielding plate? If it's the wrap way to hard to wrap on vehicle and start at the bottom coming to the primaries. Paint over with the high heat silicone spray or exhaust paint.

I'd do a resistance test in the trigger wire to the solenoid first.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
So Supercheap have some high heat aerosol paint that says it’s suitable for use on exhaust systems. Is that the stuff you mean?? Just spray the **** out of the starter motor? Would I potentially ruin anything within the SM?

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Hey all, got a question. So I’m wanting to paint the rubber body mouldings of the Ute. They’re currently black with a red stripe in the middle. I want to paint them solid red, more like the SS stripe. I assume it’ll be easy enough to do with a spray can and some tape. Just wondering what sort of paint to use?? I don’t want a glossy finish. Anyone done this before and had good results?? Cheers