Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY10 Barina airbag warning light on

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
I just purchased a my10 tk barina and the airbag warning light is constantly on.

My mate checked the ecu for fault codes using a Autel Autolink AL419 OBD II Car Engine Scan Tool and it didn't register any fault codes at all.

All fuses are fine.

I disconnected and connected battery and warning light still on.

The car hasn't been in any accidents, although it is a repairable write-off with light cosmetic hail damage to roof and bonnet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
The code is hard set so no amount of any bar getting the fault cleared will do. Could be a dodgy cluster change, a flogged clock storing, pretensioners ect. Still get it read/cleared by someone how can read the codes like a holden dealer eeeeeek.

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
The is no faults according to scan tool.
I've done a bit of research and theres a common problem with faulty sdm Modules and no fault codes presenting and srs warning light.

Might just start with getting the module reset/repaired.

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
The code is hard set so no amount of any bar getting the fault cleared will do. Could be a dodgy cluster change, a flogged clock storing, pretensioners ect. Still get it read/cleared by someone how can read the codes like a holden dealer eeeeeek.

Where is the module located?

TwoUpTourer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive LPG
The is no faults according to scan tool.
I've done a bit of research and theres a common problem with faulty sdm Modules and no fault codes presenting and srs warning light.

Might just start with getting the module reset/repaired.
Hi Cliffo
Did you ever resolve this?
Same issue with my TK Barina, no fault codes, but airbag light is on.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
https://www.caradvice.com.au/788687/holden-barina-cruze-trax-takata-recall-expanded/

Ring a dealer and get them to check if it is involved in the Takata recall or any other airbag related recall ;) Then if so, they may even come and tow it away if it has an Alpha airbag, otherwise they may ask you to drop it in (at which time they can also check why the airbag lamp is on)...

Don’t piss around with grenades as it ain’t fun when they go off :eek:

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
no fault codes
What type of scan tool are you using?

The guy above was using a scan tool that only reads the engine/emissions information. The SRS module is a different module and not part of the OBD communication protocol.

You'll need to find someone with a more advance pro-level scan tool (Snap on, GScan, Tech2 etc).

TwoUpTourer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive LPG
What type of scan tool are you using?

The guy above was using a scan tool that only reads the engine/emissions information. The SRS module is a different module and not part of the OBD communication protocol.

You'll need to find someone with a more advance pro-level scan tool (Snap on, GScan, Tech2 etc).
Many thanks for that info re the SRS vs ODB2
I have one of those cheapo ELM27 bluetooth scanners off Ebay and have tried a few of the different ODB2 scanning apps off the Playstore, including one that claims to scan the airbag system - Garage Pro I think it was.

I also had a dead O2 sensor, which I replaced this morning, clearing it's particular fault code, leaving the system "fault free" according to the scanner app. An interesting side effect of fixing the O2 sensor is that the airbag now only glows a bit, not full on like before.

Here and on another site comments were made about the SDM module being known to report fault free but at the same time causing the airbag light to come on, so I have tracked down a second hand one from an auto wrecker for $55, and think that the cheapest way out is to see whether swapping it over matches up with that theory.
If that fails, then I'll need to do as you suggest and get our local guy to scan it with a professional scanner.