Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Here in Australia other brands have suffered at the hands of this phenomenon much more than Holden as far as I know. Toyota and Mazda have been "selling" cars to dealers as demos in their hundreds to try and take the #1 vehicle crown for years, and who can forget Hyundai and Nissan with huge stocks they can't sell, leading to crazy incentives and discounts. This cost the former Nissan CEO his job.

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
Congrats on the purchase mate, but I think you are over inflating things a little with the $12k 'savings'. Auto vs manual and standard vs metallic paint is a difference of $3000 just there, which is why you car appears so cheap. Blackout kit is also standard on my17. Claiming the gst as a saving is irrelevant as I assume you'd get the same deduction on a my17.
Then there is the fact that your car's build date is possibly a few months old already, and come Jan 1 your car will have an instant depreciation hit as it becomes last year's model.
Of course dealers are willing to negotiate on my16 as they have yards full of them that they want to get rid of. You will be hard pressed finding anyone willing to discount a built to order my17.
Im happy that I ordered a my17 even if I paid a little extra, as my car will be delivered factory fresh a week or two after being built and will be a true "last of" the Commodore.
Depreciation doesn't faze me as its a keeper, and if $$$ were my only concern when buying a car I'd probably be looking at a $15k econobox instead.
Congrats Alex Z. I'm with zero on this one but. Laid down a deposit late July for my 2017 plated redline with the intention of keeping it as one of the last of its kind from a built year perspective. Don't know that there's too many new unsold 2016 redlines siting around though. Pretty quiet as far as i know on that front in nth qld at least anyway. 3 x 2016 ssv manuals in Townsville though. Now getting back to these possible new 20 " rims. I need intel. Super coach, Tim and Hayley hello anyone ?.......

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Rims are the same, no difference.

The special packs will have different rims, however only the finish, as per Holden's special edition register your interest website.

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
Rims are the same, no difference.

The special packs will have different rims, however only the finish, as per Holden's special edition register your interest website.
Ok. That's a shame. Thanks for the prompt reply T&H.

Wolverine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFIISSVR
I didnt want to share this but after reading all the back and fort opinions here..... the reason holden is allocating limited numbers of redlines to dealers is because Holden already have the all time build of LS3 engines which means thats it for them. They can't order anymore LS3 no matter what the demands will be. Between the chevrolet ss and redlines and the limited editions they are going to release..... so yeah. They will run out of LS3 before they shut the place down in Elizabeth...... so whoever wants a V8 better get it asap....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Car sales attitudes are strange in the USA ... they seem to be happy to lose a squillionty per-vehicle, so long as they sell a squillionty vehicles.

We look at car prices in the USA and wonder why we're getting ripped-off so much here; but with a very small number of exceptions we pay the same or less for cars here than everywhere else except the USA. And it's because of that attitude in the US of volume, volume, volume.

The theory is, I think, sell lots of product & make the momey back on finance & servicing?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I didnt want to share this but after reading all the back and fort opinions here..... the reason holden is allocating limited numbers of redlines to dealers is because Holden already have the all time build of LS3 engines which means thats it for them. They can't order anymore LS3 no matter what the demands will be. Between the chevrolet ss and redlines and the limited editions they are going to release..... so yeah. They will run out of LS3 before they shut the place down in Elizabeth...... so whoever wants a V8 better get it asap....

Really? GM Powertrains are cutting production of the LS3, the most popular engine in the Crate Engine Program?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

Last edited:

Alex Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Congrats on the purchase mate, but I think you are over inflating things a little with the $12k 'savings'. Auto vs manual and standard vs metallic paint is a difference of $3000 just there, which is why you car appears so cheap. Blackout kit is also standard on my17. Claiming the gst as a saving is irrelevant as I assume you'd get the same deduction on a my17.
Then there is the fact that your car's build date is possibly a few months old already, and come Jan 1 your car will have an instant depreciation hit as it becomes last year's model.
Of course dealers are willing to negotiate on my16 as they have yards full of them that they want to get rid of. You will be hard pressed finding anyone willing to discount a built to order my17.
Im happy that I ordered a my17 even if I paid a little extra, as my car will be delivered factory fresh a week or two after being built and will be a true "last of" the Commodore.
Depreciation doesn't faze me as its a keeper, and if $$$ were my only concern when buying a car I'd probably be looking at a $15k econobox instead.

Correction here mate, the build in manual stand paint is 59k plus the 1000 plate clearance bonus... rrp is 60k, paint and slush box takes it ~62k.

And my17 won't get factory discounts, very little negotiation from dealers, you need to wait until end of Q1 at least to get your car, and it's a 2017 build... not a collectors edition or 'last' commodore not matter how much you tell yourself, so won't appreciate like the xr8/6 sprints likely will on the coming years

Horses for courses with these things, but I'm rapt with my purchase

For the record, if $$$ was my concern I'd go buy a stnd ss...

:D