Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice on this situation please

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
From my personal experienced if the car shakes like hell and loud knocking sound at higher rpm, it's probably caused by water still mixed with oil inside the engine. It could be cylinder blown head gasket not intake gasket so your mechanic should have checked that as well

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
thanks for the advice guys

still waiting to hear back from them was hoping to hear back from them today but heard nothing now closed over the weekend so i will go speak with with them monday i will give consumer affairs a ring just to see what they say

will also speak to the MTA as did a search there and the company is registered there as a member as well

thanks

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
ok guys update

not overlly happy they have now pulled the motor out ripped sump off and said the main bearings are gone not there fault

there options put to me are

1. put in new bearings about $500.00 with crank grind but without rebuilding the whole motor you wont know if theres any other problems he said

or

2. put in another motor about $1000.00

i told him im not happy as motor was running fine prior to dropping in was only in for an intake manifold has never mised a beat serviced every 5000km (to which he says well that explains why its so clean inside) he still says we are not to blame the above quotes are cheap im trying to help you out keeping labour charges down i just replied with really thats nice.

so my question is guys how much is it for a set a main bearings here is my thinking as he already has the motor out everything off i turn up with a set of main bearings tell him to put them in put it back together no grind no nothing with any luck the new bearings should fix it without the grind but if not i can either wait till im well enough to rebuild it myself or wait for my brother to return who is a mechanic

1. how much are main bearings 1998 vt commodore v6

2. opinion on just putting them n without the grind

he said no metail shaving or fragments or files were in the oil
has good compression but low oil pressure

cheers

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Mate i reckon that he has stuffed up and is trying to pin it on you. I don't understand how you can leave a workshop with a completely different problem you arrived with. I had an old lantra sent it to get fixed they put i new head in. (Old was slightly warped) after he put the new head in drove it a K the piston blew through the sump and he tried to put it back onto me. Called consumer affairs they quickly dealt with the matter. Mate i am sure the bearings were fine before you took it in and since they have done the gasket replacement they have installed in incorrectly allowing water to mix. (like a few others have mentioned). Something is sus about this bloke

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip its either compressed water and has beaten the bearings to death or gasket material has clogged the pick up in the sump.ide get some advice from consumer affairs

DMG_90_No.18

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV-VN-DMG 90 No.18 of 50
This guy is a scammer and a rip off.
Here are a number of possible causes. This may explain the low oil pressure.
Failure of the crankshaft seal would led to oil escaping the engine, if that is so this is a possible reason for your problem. Get your hands on the bearing shells ior check all of them now, if the pair of bearing shells nearest to the seal show symptoms of seizure it will have a bronze colour to it, this is due to the oil film rupturing as a result of loss of oil pressure. The other two bearing shell pairs will just be shiny in colour, this is a sign of oil starvation. Also the rear bearing shells might have a foreign particle trapped between the bearing back and its housing which will lead to a raised area on the shell, equals stuffed bearing. Another one is poor engine tuning will cause excessive loads on the engine components.
Good luck mate

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
i did see 2 halves of bearing shells tonight dont know where they were taken from didnt bring them home with me they were both shiny and silver

i will be going back there in the morning telling him i want to inspect the crank if theres no marks or scratchs will tell him to throw in a set of bearings

basically im in a hardspot as we need the car he has had it for almost 2 weeks and its a joke im still stumped as to why he removed the engine and box out of the car to take the farking sump off jesus

anyways i am contacting consumer affairs tomorow along with mta as well i wil try and get the bearings off him tomoz if i can i will post up pic of them thanks for the advice people

btw i rang and spoke to this bloke (mechanic) tonight he said he will supply and fit new bearings for $100.00

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats a good price bearings about $80 ide say he must be feeling guilty LOL