Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice on this situation please

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats difinatly a distinct lack of oil there and not for long either ide say just the drive home and back to the shop

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
now i looked at the crank there were a couple of faint marks on it but if you ran your fingernail across it it didnt catch so was still smooth so ive told him to just put the new bearings it put the thing back together just so i can get a complet car back

i will now never trust this motor so i just hope the bearings will hold out as my intentions are

option a

get another motor and do a full rebuild on it over time then swap it out

option b

when time permits take the car off the road and fullly rebuild the motor in it

but im thinking option a would be the way to go we will see what happens

to me i persoanlly think by looking at the bearings its ran dry of oil but hey im not a "QUALIFIED MECHANIC"

cheers

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
In your earlier posts you said it was the main bearings that had gone, in the photos there are 6 sets of bearings so they must be pics of the 'Conrod' bearings, what were the mains like? Odd the way they are scored on the back of the bearing as well. I have never pulled a V6 apart but going on the fact that there are 6 sets there they can't be the Mains.
Have they removed the crankshaft from the block?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Now would be the ideal time to fit a 4.2L stroker :)

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
in my opinon if i m in your position i would go to the wrecker find 2nd hand engine with low k's on it which is roughly $600 + waranty because it's a waste of time and money if they let you fix the bearing, especially when he said to you that he wont know if theres any other problems.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I Agree with mitmit get a replacement motor , Dont run the risk of this moron stuffing anything else and if you want to persue it do what consumer affairs advised you

Can you really trust this mechanic to do the rigth thing?
shonky mechanics are pretty good at bodging Engines and giving you the run around until the warranty period runs out

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Must say I aggree with whats said previous, that since the engine is out, best to purchase a second hand motor from the wreckers, with warranty, and put it back in the car instead of your original one. Then at your leasure, you can re-build the bottom end of your damaged motor, and re-coup some of your dosh by selling bit.

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
I think I read in the manual that you can't grind the crank in the ecotec, they are a throw away.
Another thought, water in the sump (could easily have got in when maniflod removed) can do a lot of damage very quickly, as it sits in the bottom of the sump where the oil pick up is. My guess is they didn't drain the cooling system first before they removed the manifold.

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
ok guys just an update

i did take your opinions onboard about grabbing another motor from wreckers as said in a previous post cheapest motor hear is about $980.00 and due to being currently off work and medical exspense's its just something i cant afford atm

now i did go to see this mechanic again today to tell him not to instal the bearings or put the motor back in but apperently i was to late i had medical appointments so couldnt see him until around 10:00am by that time the engine had been put back together and they had began to mount it in the car so now will just collect the car monday and let you's know what happens form there

cheers

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Good luck with it