Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need opinion on crank Shaft

Rosco666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
Pulled crank shaft out the other day from a 202 black. Bearings were pretty worn and some had white metal and brass stripped (close to melting).

Theres a few blemashes on the crank nothing to bad just thinking of goin over with some really fine emery paper.

"Any opinions would be appreciated"

Rosco666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
10 thou been taken off already
also the its been bored out to 60 thou

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I wouldn't worry to much about 0.010" undersize. See what undersize bearings you can obtain for it. I built a 186 with 0.060" undersized mains 0.025" rods and it is still going fine 25 years later. What you need to worry about is the finish and roundness of the journals. They must measure the same all over the journal. If they have any groves apparent on the mains or rod journals don't use it without grinding or linishing as this will reduce it's life considerably. It sounds like it has been running without oil or the mains were put in to tight. The only reasons i will normally throw away a crank is the rear main seal or the thrust faces. There may be further damage inside the block. Did it spin any of the bearings? Are the cam bearings OK? Are the rods OK ?
It's been a while since I have had a crank done but it may be cheaper to get another second hand unit in OK condition but this may still need grinding. Bite the bullet and get it reground and at least you know it is good. Make sure your block is clean and all the oil galleries are clear as this may have been the reason why the bearings went.
Cheers
Daza