Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neutral safety switch

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
yeah its all connected, does drive around quite nicely. when it starts

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

VS Series 1 already had the Inhibitor Switch assembly mounted on the LH side of the transmission around the selector shaft just like VT. It's a rather large flat black plastic box on a metal plate. The smashed 1995 45,000km VS I wrecked years ago was a column shift and that's where it was on that car. I still have that switch assembly packed away in a box in the shed.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
please note the plug is glued into the switch assembly
use a heat gun or be very careful

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Right next question which wires arw for neutral and park so i can try bridge them see if my engine starts

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Right next question which wires arw for neutral and park so i can try bridge them see if my engine starts
Where did you find the neutral safety switch? Did the plug give you hard time to get out?

If l remember correctly, look at the wiring colours. Should be 4 wires. Basically 2 sets of colours + the earth for each one.
ex. If there is a plain blue one & blue one with a stripe, join those. I think those 2 are for the start? If correct join the other 2 & they will be for the reverse lights.

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Where did you find the neutral safety switch? Did the plug give you hard time to get out?

If l remember correctly, look at the wiring colours. Should be 4 wires. Basically 2 sets of colours + the earth for each one.
ex. If there is a plain blue one & blue one with a stripe, join those. I think those 2 are for the start? If correct join the other 2 & they will be for the reverse lights.
Neutral safty switch was on passenger side of transmission, havent unplugged it yet as i had very little room to move, and working in rain. After work ill test it for sparkfirst to see if the immobiliser is the issue, if not then should an engine be cranking if it has a bad N safety switch but you bridge the starter relay to get it to crank?

Ive read somewhere else on this forum that if your bridging the starter and have a bad safety switch then it shouldnt crank?

Usually to crank by key id have to go down to drive and slowly bring selector up and it would start cranking and fire just above reverse, however thats not doing anything in this situation.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
just on a side note, the NSS is quite easy to repair, simple pop it apart and clean the contacts then pry them up a bit (do a search here as to a how to )

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Usually to crank by key id have to go down to drive and slowly bring selector up and it would start cranking and fire just above reverse, however thats not doing anything in this situation.
This cpuld be bad adjustment of where the nut bolt connects the shifter linkage through the trans shaft? I may not be naming things correctly, but l hope you know what l mean

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the selector switch mechanism mounts are slotted to allow for adjustment

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Ute runs again something between bridging starter and fuel pump relays plus replacing a burnt out fuel pimp fuse has got yhe weird green light working and immobiliser light, webt to start it and afyer some loud noise it fired, firing fine now with that linkage/or NSS problem but somethings squealing loud so ill let it dry and have another shot tomorrow

Reactions: Lex