Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New battery

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Maybe the ‘programming‘ is just to reset the battery-life-timer for another 7 years! :cool:
which takes 40-45 mins?? ;)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Some have Masochism, some have sadism, others have flagellation. For the rest it's a Bimmer

FB_IMG_1679580479125.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some have Masochism, some have sadism, others have flagellation. For the rest it's a Bimmer

View attachment 250513
haha....

I have an EXTRA copy of the owners manual in my the study in my library of car service/repair manuals, rather well worn as
... too many times have I seen that!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
haha....

I have an EXTRA copy of the owners manual in my the study in my library of car service/repair manuals, rather well worn as
... too many times have I seen that!
That's a good plan. Also can't recommend https://www.realoem.com enough for reference. I doubt it's truly 100%, so far for me it has been though

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a good plan. Also can't recommend https://www.realoem.com enough for reference. I doubt it's truly 100%, so far for me it has been though
THAT site .. is saved in my faves in my browser along with the link to
the 1Addicts forum (for us silly enuff to have a 1 series Bimmer)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
naaah... happy wife (her choice)

= happy life (for me) :p
Speaking of BMW's, my wife wanted an SUV in 2018 after driving V8 Commodores since 1986. At the time she had 2012 VE Redline wagon and drove all the rice burner SUV's she thought were junk compared to her VE, didn't go, didn't handle and didn't stop. She ended up at the BMW shop and drove an X3 M40i, 3 litre turbo inline 6 cylinder.

A quick look at this car, it's the "real deal", longitudinal engine with the trans bolted on the back like a Commodore, not the typical transverse engine front wheel drive rubbish and the suspension is virtually the same design as the VE/VF. Taking it for a spin, the car's an animal with serious horsepower, handles superb for an SUV and stops with a big set of Brembo's using less pedal pressure than my VF2 Redline ute.

Thrilled with driving this BMW SUV my wife considered was a V8 Commodore level car, she bought it, and the car has been great in 4 1/2 years she's owned it. I don't drive it very often but when I do, there's nothing not to like about it. The turbo 6 has no lag and pulls like a V8 from low RPM and from a standing start with 4-wheel drive traction control, you wouldn't want race it in an LSA Commodore, the BMW will smoke it!

With Holden gone, BMW probably manufactures the cheapest cars or "best bang for your buck" on a V8 Commodore like platform!

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
With Holden gone, BMW probably manufactures the cheapest cars or "best bang for your buck" on a V8 Commodore like platform!
Before the stupid prices towards the end of Holden’s reign, a V8 Calais could be have for high $40k (or low $50k depending on the day/month). Today, the BMW X3 M40i would set one back supposedly $130k :eek:

So, though I agree that the BMW may now be best commodore like platform (given that Holden based it on 3 series platform) it’s hardly an affordable car in the same way and the term bang for buck is somewhat lost in the translation :rolleyes:

Guess it highlights what we have all lost as a nation when the vehicle manufacturers shut shop down under however it goes much deeper than just $$ :(

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So, though I agree that the BMW may now be best commodore like platform (given that Holden based it on 3 series platform) it’s hardly an affordable car in the same way and the term bang for buck is somewhat lost in the translation :rolleyes:
What I'm referring to is the Commodore platform is used by BMW and still available if desired. Audi and Benz have a similar platform in some high-end models but they're more expensive than BMW. The other manufactures just don't build cars in the Commodore like platform we're familiar with and value as brand enthusiasts. The other aspect is my wife using the Commodore as a yard stick that only BMW matched for her, the rest she road tested didn't come close to the mighty Commodore V8!

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I fitted my AC Delco S57220 today.
Not as easy an Under the bonnet battery but not a hassle. Starts nice and snappy now.
Thanks for all your input.