Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New electric vehicles to be built in Adelaide...

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Not a lot of interest to anyone except the few with a: the money to waste since electric vehicles have virtually no value on the secondhand market and only around 10% of people that buy one ever buy a second one, and b: that have eight hours spare to sit waiting to recharge their car and c: don't want to drive anywhere outside suburbia. Something I doubt many "commercial" users will be keen on

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Not a lot of interest to anyone except the few with a: the money to waste since electric vehicles have virtually no value on the secondhand market and only around 10% of people that buy one ever buy a second one, and b: that have eight hours spare to sit waiting to recharge their car and c: don't want to drive anywhere outside suburbia. Something I doubt many "commercial" users will be keen on

Yep, this country is slowing becoming two countries with very different thinking and needs. Inner-city Australia and the rest of Australia. Inner-city Australia fails to acknowledge the rest of Australia in its thinking and car like this would only make sense in ultra built-up CBDs where everything is basically close enough to walk. So-called 'progressive' leftist politics is another example...

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Yep, this country is slowing becoming two countries with very different thinking and needs. Inner-city Australia and the rest of Australia. Inner-city Australia fails to acknowledge the rest of Australia in its thinking and car like this would only make sense in ultra built-up CBDs where everything is basically close enough to walk. So-called 'progressive' leftist politics is another example...
Exactly most inner urbans think the milk comes from plastic bottle next to the meat shelf were the meat is produced

VRtoVStoVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I see a lot of negativity about EV's but it's going to be the inevitable future of fleet cars, family cars and a whole range of self driving trucks. Just my opinion of course, but there is growth every year and that isn't slowing down. Not to mention the fact that the technology gets better every year, and not just battery technology.

Remember when people said "why would we need copper when iron serves our telecommunications fine", just like the current government saying "why would we need fibre when copper serves us just fine and wireless is going to be serving most people anway?". Apart from the obvious shortsightedness of those politicians, was the first petrol car able to drive anywhere near the current generations? No. Did they outperform horses in many aspects? Not really.

The fact is, tech doesn't just come into the world at its most efficient, powerful and perfect form. It takes time, research and probably most importantly, customers to test the tech but also to provide the money needed in order to perfect the tech.

I don't have any agenda here - I just see how the tech is going, improving and in my opinion, self driving electric vehicles will be the majority before 2050.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think you're on the money. By 2030, I reckon electric, and perhaps other alternative fuels, will be very common and far more affordable than at present. And there will be guys on this forum who will be driving them as dailies, even though they're convinced they will never do so.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
"why would we need copper when iron serves our telecommunications fine" I'm sorry, no one said that, ever. And with 5G roll out, fibre optic, which has to be replaced regularly as do the batteries in all the repeaters along the way, will be obsolete before the Rudd/Labor NBN is fully rolled out, just like people with actual knowledge of technology pointed out all along. You do realise that the only thing that will make autonomous vehicles possible at all is 5G wireless don't you?

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
nz govtment has just given Kiwis a gift $8000 discount if you buy a new electric vehicle .$2000 if you buy a 2nd hand vehicle .if someone offered .i a commodore with a electric motor that could do 10sec i would be driving it imagine a hard as .black commodore electric .beating fords .#yeah!!!