Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] New foglight / driving light restrictions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm SII
Say what? You do know that you don't have to turn your fog lights on for your speedo to illuminate?.... Turn on your parkers/headlights = problem solvered.

My fog's turn on aswell when i do this :p

previous owner wasn't an electrician.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Maybe a dumb question,

But i assume there is a difference between "Fog" and "Driving" lights. I have noticed the "Fog" to have a Frosted like lense, Hence it scatters beam of light everywhere making it illegal.

However, I noticed the Driving lights have a Clear Lense, Are they still illegal?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Maybe a dumb question,

But i assume there is a difference between "Fog" and "Driving" lights. I have noticed the "Fog" to have a Frosted like lense, Hence it scatters beam of light everywhere making it illegal.

However, I noticed the Driving lights have a Clear Lense, Are they still illegal?

Simply, a 'Fog' light has a switch in the cabin to turn them on and off independant of the main light switch. They can be switched on provided at least the parkers are switched on. The type of light they produce is beneficial in poor conditions, such as rain or fog where usual headlights are not enough. But they have to be switched off when conditions clear.

Driving lights do not have a factory switch, as they are hardwired into the highbeam circuit, and only illuminate when the highbeams are on.

In essence, every Commodore with lights down the bottom are classed as Fog lights because of the switch near or on the headlight main switch.

As for the type of light they produce, I'm not really sure...

SSv_6ltr

Bundy on Dudes.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm
I drive with them on at night because it give a more of a spread beam beside the car...Too many Roos on the side of the road.
People complain alot, esp at night because alot of drivers adj the height and change the wattage, they should be the same as low beam wattage...55w

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Yep three new rules:
1. Fog lights must be off in clear conditions (I assume this means factory fitted ones too).
2. The DRIVER will cop a fine and demerit points if any passenger of any age doesn't have a seatbelt on (so if one of your mates doesn't have a seatbelt on, you cop the fine. Seems unfair to me.)
3. No U-turns over solid centre line.

Not sure if QLD is having the same new rules as VIC, but the one about no 'U' turn over a solid centre line, in VIC it also states no overtaking as well, so it sort of becomes the same as a double line. See the VIC link below. Maybe QLD is going to be a litlle bit different.
Or was the no overtaking on a solid single already in place in QLD.

"Victorian road rules: U-turns and overtaking"

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
They look hell good though :p
Everyone says that about people who 'show off' their lights, until they get blinded by a 1990 Honda Civic with a 8000k HID retrofit. This is why we have laws that say what you can and cannot do :p.

Maybe a dumb question,

It doesn't matter whether they are on a switch or not, the colour/type of the lens, or where they are mounted, it's the beam which determines if they are foglights or driving lights.

Driving lights complement high beams. They are simply bright lights that throw light everywhere just like high beams do.

Fog lights have a focused beam which is designed to only light up the road. This is beneficial in foggy conditions. If you shine more light on the fog itself it'll make your visibility worse.

As far as i'm aware, the only true Commodore foglights are the projector ones (VY Senator, VZ Monaro). All the other models don't have a properly focused beam, BUT the low mounting position does make them somewhat useful in fog, but not nearly as good as a properly focused beam.

Either way it's a big no-no to have them on in the daytime no matter what they are. Driving lights fall under the same rules as high beams and Fog lights can only be used when it's foggy. The only lights you are allowed to have on a daytime running lights (i.e. parkers), or low beam headlights.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Workmate has seen many people south of Brisbane getting booked. Police have a blitz on.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Hang on... and all this is NEW in Queensland?

WTF?! Well, welcome to the 21st century anyway!

This is new in Vic too, up until now it has been the responsibility of the passenger (over the age of 16) to wear a seatbelt. Now the Driver will be fined.