Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Front Speaker Selection Help

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Neither. Buy a high powered 2 channel amp, not a 4 channel amp to bridge to 2 channels.

Ok... Can you recommend a 2 channel? I can't seem to find one that will produce a high power.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Did you look at the other Soundstream products? Their website lists a few that do 175 x 2 or more.

Most good brands will have a high powered 2 channel amp, you just need to look at their higher end gear.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Did you look at the other Soundstream products? Their website lists a few that do 175 x 2 or more.

Most good brands will have a high powered 2 channel amp, you just need to look at their higher end gear.

Stone X, why are you insisting on a 2 channel amp over a 4 channel amp? My reason for a 4 channel is because it is a lot cheaper .. because I can get a mid range 4 channel for cheaper than a high end 2 channel.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
There's a soundstream amp.
250 x 2 (4ohm) - Soundstream Tarantula TRX 2.820 with a price tag of $610 though.

While the MB Quart Dsc 480 is $225

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you just want a cheap system, go for the 4 channel and bridge it.

By running a 4 channel as a 2 channel you are basically running all 4 channels at 2 ohm, this reduces the specs of the amp, by increasing THD and damping. It's basically like turning a good 4 channel into an average high power 2 channel.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
If you just want a cheap system, go for the 4 channel and bridge it.

By running a 4 channel as a 2 channel you are basically running all 4 channels at 2 ohm, this reduces the specs of the amp, by increasing THD and damping. It's basically like turning a good 4 channel into an average high power 2 channel.

O... I thought if you used the 4 channels for just 2 channels (bridging) for the speakers it would still be a 4ohm. I thought it only halfed if you ran 2 speakers of a single channel or doing the whole parralel or series thing.

Just doing some research.. some people say no difference, some people say difference ... some say up to an increase of 10% distortion etc.

Guess Ill start looking for a 2 channel amp. How much power should I deliver to the SoundStream TRC.6N speakers (rated 200rms @ 4ohm)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Ideally, you want to have their rated power or a little bit more.

There's no way bridging channels increases the distortion by 10%. I think the amount of difference would barely be audible, if at all. Just do whatever fits inside your budget :)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Ideally, you want to have their rated power or a little bit more.

There's no way bridging channels increases the distortion by 10%. I think the amount of difference would barely be audible, if at all. Just do whatever fits inside your budget :)

Hmmm... I guess 250rms into them will have to be enough... can't seem to find one with 300 (which I woulda prefered), the only 300x2 I found was a Boston GT-2300 but that'll set me back $775 which is a little too much for me :p

At the moment I have the:
Rockford Fosgate T600.2 - $542
SoundStream Trx2.820 - $610
Hifonics Zxi1010 - $364

All those amps are rated for 250 x 2.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, I just bought a second hand Soundstream TR1600/2 amp that does 400 x 2 :)

High powered 2 chans are quite a bit more expensive... I was looking at that Boston amp before I found the SS.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Yeah, I just bought a second hand Soundstream TR1600/2 amp that does 400 x 2 :)

High powered 2 chans are quite a bit more expensive... I was looking at that Boston amp before I found the SS.

Ye I've noticed they so expensive, that's why I was leaning for a 4-channel. But then like you mentioned why cheap out now. I'm not a fan of buying second hand stereo equipment unless it's from a friend.