Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New laptop suggestions please?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I dunno if this is true, but when setting up your windows, a lot of people have said that if you go 32 bit (Why you would I have no idea) your laptop doesn't utilize all of your RAM unless you go 64 bit? Something like 32 bit only uses 4gb where 64 bit can use upwards of 6 to 8GB or something? Just thought i'd throw that out there

NV-MY-VT

Sleeper Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 Olympic Edition
32-bit operating systems are only able to address up to 4gb of ram, or 3.4gb of RAM due to limits in their address space. (As a general rule, some OS's can overcome this issue).

A 32-bit address register meant that 232 addresses, or 4 GB of RAM, could be referenced. At the time these architectures were devised, 4 GB of memory was so far beyond the typical quantities (4 MB) in installations that this was considered to be enough "headroom" for addressing. 4.29 billion addresses were considered an appropriate size to work with for another important reason: 4.29 billion integers are enough to assign unique references to most entities in applications like databases.

However, 64-bit Operating systems support much more:

For example, the AMD64 architecture currently has a 52 bit limit on physical memory and supports a 48-bit virtual address space.[4] This is 4 PB (4 × 10245 bytes) and 256 TB (256 × 10244 bytes), respectively.

So, in laymans terms, a 64-bit operating system with a new AMD processor can support 4 194 304 gigabytes of RAM nowadays (Theoretically...).

I run a 64-bit cluster at home, which is virtualised to a single machine, running 16GB of ram and 3 CPU's, hyperthreaded.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I dunno if this is true, but when setting up your windows, a lot of people have said that if you go 32 bit (Why you would I have no idea) your laptop doesn't utilize all of your RAM unless you go 64 bit? Something like 32 bit only uses 4gb where 64 bit can use upwards of 6 to 8GB or something? Just thought i'd throw that out there

Windows has 2 platforms, 32 bit and 64 bit.

32 bit operating systems can utilize a maximum of 3.3 GB of RAM. So even if your computer has 4GB of RAM installed, Windows will only read 3.3GB.
64 bit operating systems can handle well over 128GB of RAM.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hi folks,

I'll be getting a new laptop soon, but my knowledge on computers and understanding of what I really need is limited. I'm a bit lost and don't know which laptop I should get, could use some help.

I'll be going to college soon, so first and foremost, I'm looking for something that's reliable and built well. I'm really into gaming, so as far as I understand, I need a good graphics card, fast processor tons of RAM. That's about all I know. Can someone please recommend a laptop that would suit my needs as a student and gamer?

Since we're talking electronics here, can you also recommend a good racing wheel that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance guys.

Go down to china town and see what they are using.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
If you're building an epic gaming PC, 8GB of DDR3 should be very nice. Any more than that and it's bit redundant re. expenditure vs performance.

My new PC will have 6GB, should be plenty.

94comm

Turbo by night
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Since you want to play games, not sure if I would consider a Lenovo (even though they seem to have some good sales on right now: Twitter)..

I'd definitely consider and ASUS as first look, followed by a Dell XPS 15

And +1 for Scorptec... but if you are in Saudi Arabia (?) then buying direct from Dell or perhaps Amazon might be your best bet..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you're building 'an epic gaming pc' then you can flatly remove any kind of laptop from the equation.

The basic fact here is that you have stated you have a budget of 800 bucks. Even if you find a few extra bucks in the jam jar to add to that, you are going to get a mid range laptop with that kind of cash. Its likely to have a 15.4" screen, tolerable graphics, reasonable speed and a couple GB, 4 if you're lucky, of RAM. It may have 500G or so HDD. Its not going to be 'an epic gamer' and will never be upgradable enough to be one.

I get that you need a laptop for school, so that has to be a priority. Spend more money on general performance, reliability and features, and settle for the basic graphics for now. Most modern laptops will play most modern games at an acceptable level these days, though I just can't imagine playing Crisis on a small screen..

You can build a real gamer later... a desktop with a real screen.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Dont buy a laptop for gaming...

If you know nothing about comptuers, and want a laptop, get a Dell.. Make sure you give it 3 years warranty. That way if anything goes wrong they will replace the part the next day for free