Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] New speed cameras...

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Yeah isn't it annoying when people can't slow down 11km/h in 300 metres. I mean its not like the car won't lose that speed if you just took your foot off the accelerator.

Just incidentally, you cover 300m pretty damn quickly just coasting. In my Triton (auto) for example, a few streets away from me there is a level 80 zone that drops to 70. It takes over 400 metres coasting to drop from dead on 80, to dead on 70. Not defending anything, just saying that you don't lose speed quite that quickly when you coast.

They are getting sneaky, I saw a pair of coppers hiding in the bus shelter on Old Cleveland Rd, in front of the Mobil servo before Carindale SC. They looked like they were having a blast with their radar, itching to chase people down on their bikes.

Same area, I've also seen a hilux with canopy, complete with orange light on top, a VS ute that looks like a dog catcher, and a Volksy Golf with what from a distance appeard to be be a bike rack on the back. I've copped two fines in the last month (maybe this is telling me something)... I thought in QLD speed cameras of all discriptions had to be signed (i.e. like on the freeway with those sign boards infront of the snappy van where you cant see it before its too late).

As some have said, signs aren't legally required. When they do show them, they're put in positions where they tell you after the fact that your speed has been checked, which is the intention. Not to give you a chance to slow down, but to inform you that your speed has been checked and recorded if necessary.

New point to point cameras going up all over the place around brisbane/logan/sunshine coast, none of them are supposed to be distributing fines yet though. All still in testing.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just incidentally, you cover 300m pretty damn quickly just coasting. In my Triton (auto) for example, a few streets away from me there is a level 80 zone that drops to 70. It takes over 400 metres coasting to drop from dead on 80, to dead on 70. Not defending anything, just saying that you don't lose speed quite that quickly when you coast.

I see what your saying, some cars can coast better than others. But in the OPs example, doing 70km/h you cover 300 metres in 15 seconds. Now if the car was decelerating by coasting it would be closer to 17 seconds. That's a fairly long time when your driving.

And in your example, by about the 300m mark you would only be doing about ~73km/h, so if there was a speed camera at the 300m mark, chances are you wouldn't be pulled up for 3km/h over.

So all I'm saying though is that if the OP had just let go of the accelerator when passing the sign, chances are he wouldn't of got pinged.

dairymilk

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sportwagon
Not sure if anyone is aware but there are new cameras fitted to the bridge on the M1 just have the Logan motor way exit heading north. Just a heads up

I think thats one of those new one that has another camera 2km's up the road and measures your speed, if its just a normal camera then it must catch a crap load of people !!! but it doesnt have the lines on the road like the other new fixed speed camera's

Cheers
Barnsey

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
watch out driving through the CBD and its 40 zones now. I've seen marked and unmarked camera vehicled - parked illegally mind you - raising much needed funds for their Christmas piss-up

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
wow talk about straight laced, get a ford if you wanna drive around like a grandma, and at 10 oclock night, even at 50k/hr, a kid jumps out in front of you (unless they are wearing a full reflector suit) you wont see em anyway so stop the preaching srsly.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
As some have said, signs aren't legally required. When they do show them, they're put in positions where they tell you after the fact that your speed has been checked, which is the intention. Not to give you a chance to slow down, but to inform you that your speed has been checked and recorded if necessary.

New point to point cameras going up all over the place around brisbane/logan/sunshine coast, none of them are supposed to be distributing fines yet though. All still in testing.

I am all for the signs, whether or not they are in a position to enable drivers to slow down or not, they are more of a visual deturant a ninja hiding in the bush (out of sight, out of mind), I find not speeding works best. Personally and having driven the Ring Road and then Pricess Freeway between Melbourne and Geelong last night for the first time in 10 months, I think QLD has a lot more problems with poor drivers then they do with speeding and believe that should be the governments focus.

It's incredable how well traffic flows when people stay in the left hand lanes, indicate when changing lanes, and drive at consistant speeds a concept that just doenst seem to take place on the Pacific, Gateway and Logan motorways

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This country should take a long hard look at european/german roads and freeways,we could have the best road systems in the world,but the aussie government has just got no idea.There should be 6 or 8 lane wide freeways (each way), with open speed limits on inside lanes, running all across australia.The USA offered to build a freeway after world war 2 going from melbourne to canberra,canberra to sydney,then from sydney up to brisbane,but the aussie government declined the offer.Idiots.Think of how many lives would have been saved over the years if the Hume and pacific highways were freeways.I wish they would put me in charge of the country for a year or two,Haha,Id fix a lot of things.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
It's incredable how well traffic flows when people stay in the left hand lanes, indicate when changing lanes, and drive at consistant speeds a concept that just doenst seem to take place on the Pacific, Gateway and Logan motorways

Tell me about it lol, biggest problem imo is the fact most people clearly dont know how to merge.
At the start of every on ramp there is a sign indicating the speed at which traffic should be flowing ....people just do not observe these kind of things and are almost ignorant in their approach almost seemingly assuming other motorists would be happy to slow down just to accommodate the speed at which they decide to enter.

Not to mention the bastard that is doing 40km/h stop starting every afternoon in the right hand land causing huge traffic delays. i swear if i ever catch that guy...he is in big trouble.

To sum it up....speeding is not the problem on Queensland roads, its the people that choose not to travel at the speed limit, fail to merge correctly and dont know how to show courtesy to other motorists.