Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie - Removing Valve Springs

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
Ok. Thanks for your help above. I've been able to get a new valve compressor and have removed 3 valves so far... but..

When taking the original valves out, there's been a black ring just below the retaining clips at the top.

If you look at this picture:

https://shop.rocketindustries.com.au/attachments/Product/52/5R308E.jpg?ts=1263499126

It sits in the 2nd slot down the valve stem. Problem is, once i've got the cap off the top of the valve, this black ring has all but disintegrated and crumbles off when you touch it. The retaining clips sit in the top ring, and this black ring sits in the bottom indentation on the valve stem.

Do these need to be replaced? and if so, what are they called?

EDIT: Come to think of it, they would stop the valve from falling into the engine completely once the retaining clips are removed. Is this all that they're for?

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
After a bit of google searching... looks like they might be valve stem seals?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah theyre valve stem seals:
e9e0_35.JPG

VERY pre-historic way of keeping oil out of the k-line. a new kit is approx 10 bucks from holden, but burson/repco all sell them for about 5 bucks. to reinstall you lube them up a bit with oil or vasalene and press them on all the way to the base of the valve. dont try and stick them on the lip of the valve cos' the retainer wil cut it in half when you try to put the collets back in. the seal will find its own way back to its correct spot after a few revs.

also the coiled rope trick works a treat, just put the piston down the bottom of the stroke, feed the rope in the spark plug hole and twist as you feed so it coils up in side the bore, then gently rotate the crank up to TDC.

youll find with your tool that the collets sometimes still bind in the retainer even when there is no spring pressure, but a quick tap with the back of a screwdriver will knock them loose.

have fun, your hands are gonna hurt after a while with that tool. plus there will be swearing so a good cold beer is really useful to have on hand.

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
yeah theyre valve stem seals:
e9e0_35.JPG

to reinstall you lube them up a bit with oil or vasalene and press them on all the way to the base of the valve. dont try and stick them on the lip of the valve cos' the retainer wil cut it in half when you try to put the collets back in. the seal will find its own way back to its correct spot after a few revs.
youll find with your tool that the collets sometimes still bind in the retainer even when there is no spring pressure, but a quick tap with the back of a screwdriver will knock them loose.
have fun, your hands are gonna hurt after a while with that tool. plus there will be swearing so a good cold beer is really useful to have on hand.

Thanks for the tip about the seals.. I would've just put them back in the spot where they're supposed to go (found that the gasket set I purchased already has a set of seals).

Yes that's the problem I was having with the original valve compressor I had.. the collets were bound to the retainer and wouldn't loosen. With the new "clamp style" compressor, it takes quite a bit of pressure, but they end up popping out (no way in hell I'd be able to tighten that compressor by hand... so I've been using a wrench to turn it.. much easier).