Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No More Harrier Service At Dealerships?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As mentioned by others, ‘Harrier’ was an extended warranty/servicing agreement that was usually bought as a (useless) option from a dealer.
The car had to be serviced by the dealer, and there were $$ limits to repairs, and what parts were covered.

When I bought a new Ford Territory, I was expected by the dealer to buy this warranty, but I refused. When the factory warranty ran out, I was informed that I had been ‘given’ a further 3 years extra Harrier-type warranty, if I continued with dealer scheduled servicing, which I did.

Happy ending, compliments of ACCC, ….. I got a refund of about $250 from Ford after they had been found out overcharging on their scheduled services.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
"Minor engine tune"
"Reset timing"
"Adjust fuel/air settings"
"Adjust idle speed"

Are we back in the 1970s? None of these tasks have been necessary for at least 30 years. The ECM is constantly making these adjustments while you drive.

I'm surprised they haven't "Greased ball joints, steering knuckles and wheel bearings"... If they did, they could easily add another 6 line items to your bill... :eek:

Yeah but they black your tyres at the dealer now and that makes a harrier service worth it......:rolleyes:

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
As mentioned by others, ‘Harrier’ was an extended warranty/servicing agreement that was usually bought as a (useless) option from a dealer.
The car had to be serviced by the dealer, and there were $$ limits to repairs, and what parts were covered.

When I bought a new Ford Territory, I was expected by the dealer to buy this warranty, but I refused. When the factory warranty ran out, I was informed that I had been ‘given’ a further 3 years extra Harrier-type warranty, if I continued with dealer scheduled servicing, which I did.

Happy ending, compliments of ACCC, ….. I got a refund of about $250 from Ford after they had been found out overcharging on their scheduled services.

I had an unusual set of circumstances that some may find interesting. I bought extra warranty in November for my HSV which required the car to be serviced by Metro Holden in Adelaide. I was happy with that as I had been very happy with my previous 2 cars serviced by them. GMH is their wisdom took there franchise away Dec 31. I phoned Holden care and said I want my car serviced by HSV approved centre. They said as a gesture of goodwill they would pay $700 toward an extended warranty with another Adelaide HSV dealer, City Holden.

City Holden said hang on both companies used the same underwriter for the extended warranty and it could be considered fraud to have the same VIN twice with the underwriter. So they said they would get the local underwriter rep to go have a chat with Metro holden. The up shot was Metro allowed the car to be serviced elsewhere and a flag was changed in the data base.

Both car dealers were great. Holden Care was great. And I am not out of pocket at all. I knows it is odd to have a happy camper.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah but they black your tyres at the dealer now and that makes a harrier service worth it......:rolleyes:

My last dealer log book service resulted in no tyre black and their free car wash leaving the car covered from head to toe in crap.

Never again.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
My last dealer log book service resulted in no tyre black and their free car wash leaving the car covered from head to toe in crap.

Never again.

I am not a tyre black fan and I aways make sure the dealer NEVER washes the car.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I am not a tyre black fan and I aways make sure the dealer NEVER washes the car.

I hadn't had a dealer service in many, many years so wasn't aware that they even provided a complimentary dirty up your car experience.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I hadn't had a dealer service in many, many years so wasn't aware that they even provided a complimentary dirty up your car experience.

Yep, the obligatory 'wash' with a bucket of wet sand is all part of the deal these days!

I make sure they write 'do not wash' in big bold letters on the work order before I sign it and hand the keys over.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Last time a took my car to a dealer for any type of work I had booked it in for a rear driver side wheel bearing.
They then called me well after lunch to tell me I needed a new wheel bearing!! Ah well yes that would be why I booked it in for that job ey mate!?
They then pulled it apart then realised they were missing parts and had to offer to drive me home in a courtesy car ;)
So it was very little inconvenience to me, but if you guys are getting your work done plus a sandy scrub of the car well consider yourself lucky! :)
Best thing about that place was a really good spare parts guy.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Agree -Harrier extended warrenty was another way for the Holdem dealers to relieve you of some money for little or no benefit . Extended warrenty sold when you buy the car - the catch ?
1. Doesn't cover a lot of items - extensive list of what is does cover
2, Service interval 10,000 kms - not a bad thing in itself but a Harrier service is just an oil and filter change
3. If you had a claim, They would use every trick in the book to reject - i.e missed oil change by 50 kms

Effectivly a scam - Dealer would get a big cut of the purchase price - plus car had to be returned to dealer to do Harrier service !!!!!

Just another way in which Holdem dealers "looked after" their customers . We will miss them !

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Harrier is not an actual warranty company, all the do is charge dealers a small amount in order to administer the dealer’s own mechanical protection plan(you can’t actually call it a warranty anymore due to ACL, only actual insurance companies can offer warranty products).

As a customer you think you’re dealing with Harrier, when really they’re just the intermediary between you and the dealership. There’s usually a basic plan for free with limited coverage and then up sells for further coverage. These plans begin after any warranty ends (new car warranty or dealer stat warranty on used). Usually you have to service at the selling dealer, but it’s up to the dealer (at the end of the day they’re the one who pays out on any claims).

They recently changed it so that you follow the logbook service schedule of the actual vehicle that you buy and most dealers now have some form of capped price servicing in place, whether it’s from a manufacturer level or internally set.