Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not sure im putting this in the right place but ill have a go

Benny304355

Reaction score
Members Ride
svz wagon
Hi everyone I have a svz wagon and it's making a clunking noise when breaking but it isn't really as bad as it warms up it was crunching as I turned but I replaced the strut top mounts and that's sorted out can anyone help me work out the rest please

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Hi everyone I have a svz wagon and it's making a clunking noise when breaking but it isn't really as bad as it warms up it was crunching as I turned but I replaced the strut top mounts and that's sorted out can anyone help me work out the rest please
If it’s a VZ you’ll want the VZ section of this forum. This is the VT/VX section. You might get an answer with some questions, but go ask in the VZ forum for more responses.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Kmart, NKA My Car will do a report for $44, Best to spend the $44 dollars and have it properly diagnosed. Then you can decide on which part to replace first in order of priority. I do this will all my cars so I mostly know what needs doing and when.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Kmart, NKA My Car will do a report for $44, Best to spend the $44 dollars and have it properly diagnosed. Then you can decide on which part to replace first in order of priority. I do this will all my cars so I mostly know what needs doing and when.

Wasn’t it them that missed your worn out strut mounts?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wasn’t it them that missed your worn out strut mounts?
.I do this will all my cars so I mostly know what needs doing and when.
I don't see much of an alternative. Doesn't have to be My Car. Twice yes they never picked it up and at least once another garage never picked it up either.

What's your suggestion, load the parts cannon and hope for the best?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don't see much of an alternative. Doesn't have to be My Car. Twice yes they never picked it up and at least once another garage never picked it up either.

What's your suggestion, load the parts cannon and hope for the best?

Just pointing out the possible pitfalls for the OP. Your reply has clarified it beautifully. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just pointing out the possible pitfalls for the OP. Your reply has clarified it beautifully. :)
Best to take it in though and have it checked over by a garage. These things are too hard to diagnose at home or over the net. I've had good experiences with garages and poor experiences. My Car on the old ute gave me a long list of problems and all of them needed doing. Unfortunately one or two things I left too long and paid as a result by ending up on a flatbed twice, which could have been avoided. My Car was not the only place to not pick up on worn out struts, not just bushes. So while any garage may not pick up on every worn component at least for under $50 you have somewhere to start.

I still don't see you providing a suggestion. .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And for my 2c less GST....

Being under braking does seem to point towards the radius rod bushes, especially the ones at the K-frame...

Under braking, the radius rod pulls on this bush and when it is worn can cause noises

To check, if you have a 2nd pair of eyes, roll forward about 5K an hour and whilst the 2nd person is there, hit the brakes and see if the front wheel moves backwards....If it does, replace.....