Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NVH on Tuff Mounts?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi All.

Looking to get some Tuff Mounts for the SSV (engine and gearbox). What can I expect in the way of NVH increase over standard mounts?

I’m expecting that there will be more NVH but is it a lot more compared to stock mounts? I only drive on the street and am more interested in using the Tuff Mounts to remove the flawed design of the factory mounts but if it’s massively annoying or uncomfortable then I’ll probably just go with stock mounts.

The Tuff Mount website mentions that you don’t need massive power increases to accelerate wear on your stock mounts by a lot, which sort of makes sense seeing as factory mounts will be made for factory power and no more.

My SSV is mildly worked (full exhaust including extractors, CAI and tune). The dyno sheet I have from when the dealer mods were done by Patterson Cheney says 262rwkw so if that’s enough to decrease the service life of stock mounts then it’s probably worth going for Tuff Mounts provided the NVH isn’t too bad.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I had one engine mount leaking earlier in the year. I asked my mechanic about these. He recommended against it for me as he knows I'm fussy and don't want to increase NVH. Both mounts were replaced with OEM ones.

It seems that one side is more prone to failing and I've read some guys replace that one with a Tuff mount and keep the other OEM for a compromise.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, When stationary or cruising along where the engine isn't producing a lot of torque the engine will sit down on both mounts but give it the jandle and the engine will lift up off one engine mount and push down on the other as the engine is trying to rotate itself in the engine bay against the driveline.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had one engine mount leaking earlier in the year. I asked my mechanic about these. He recommended against it for me as he knows I'm fussy and don't want to increase NVH. Both mounts were replaced with OEM ones.

It seems that one side is more prone to failing and I've read some guys replace that one with a Tuff mount and keep the other OEM for a compromise.
I’m not fussy on NVH too much but just don’t want it to be overly annoying.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want that old school V8 with a cam shaking the whole vehicle then yep they are good for that, i got the lower mounts with mine and i propped them up with some thick rubber to help also and it was good u could feel the engine but not bad and driving was fine, i now have it more solid and trans mounts so ill be feeling it but i now have iron block so that will change it alot, the alloy block moves much easier so different frequency to deal with, i think they do different rubbers in them now for better street use u can choose from ? im not sure what its like with stock cam tho may be better less lope shaking everything

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My experience with them on the VE is they are very unpleasant at idle and low rpm and I'm willing to tolerate a fair bit of nvh. Both cars had piggy cams. Personally I'm happy to replace stock mounts regularly for the comfort

Technico mounts might be a better option

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never heard of them. Will have a Guernsey.
Torque Master mounts. Seen them on eBay before and had them as my other option. Will probably go with them then as they say they have good NVH suppression and ok for a daily driver.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
My experience with them on the VE is they are very unpleasant at idle and low rpm and I'm willing to tolerate a fair bit of nvh. Both cars had piggy cams. Personally I'm happy to replace stock mounts regularly for the comfort

Technico mounts might be a better option
Ended up buying the Technico engine mounts and Tuff Mount gearbox mount. Will report back on NVH once I get them fitted.