Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD Readers

harveyconnor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6
I had a heap of problems trying to use the VXDiag with a laptop. I tried windows 7 and eventually got GDS2 to run and hookup to my car but could never get SPS programming to work (I paid the $55). Is there a specific build of windows 7 that you guys use and/or what laptop?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I had a heap of problems trying to use the VXDiag with a laptop. I tried windows 7 and eventually got GDS2 to run and hookup to my car but could never get SPS programming to work (I paid the $55). Is there a specific build of windows 7 that you guys use and/or what laptop?

Win7 or 10 will work, sps runs through a webpage and launches a java app.
I will take some pictures tomorrow to show how to launch it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the vxdiagshop is back up with newer software than the ones i linked the other day.
https://www.vxdiagshop.com/info/vxdiag-diagnostic-software-download-4048.html

i am using microsoft edge browser on both windows 7 32 bit and windows 10 64 bit

i did notice on my win7 system a message about 32 bit no longer being supported in tech2win so it might pay to migrate to a 64bit operating system.

in VX Manager make sure you have these 3 installed
installed.jpg

then under My Subscriptions click the View link
tds1.jpg

it will popup a box with the VIN SUBSCRIPTIONS and you would click the vin of the vehicle you are working on.
tds2.jpg

if there are no vins added to your account click the Add Vin link at the bottom of the box.
tds2-1.jpg

on the page that loads from clicking the vin/add vin click Service Programming System(SPS)
tds3.jpg

then click Start SPS
tds4.jpg

when i click on start sps in edge it downloads a file download.jnlp so i have to click Open File
open.jpg

as sps loads it will pop up a few boxes click to allow them and will eventually pop this box which i click Skip on because i am using the vxdiag i dont want it to update or install over the software installed by vx manager
skip.jpg

once sps has loaded select J2534 Tool and then you can select Reprogram ECU or Replace and Program ECU and you should be ready to update/install/program etc
selectj2.jpg

if it pops up the device explorer box in sps select the VXDIAG device.
devsel.jpg

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Suggest you upgrade to Windows 10. If your Windows 7 has a valid licence you can upgrade for free. Even if you don't have a valid licence you can still upgrade to Windows 10 but it will keep reminding you that your windows is not activated (but it doesn't stop you using it). I run all the VXDiag programs on Windows 10/64 without a problem (except for my damm security software being a pain in the butt).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Even if you don't have a valid licence you can still upgrade to Windows 10 but it will keep reminding you that your windows is not activated

just use the windows loader to activate the win7 install and then update it, you will end up with a free activated copy of win10.
ms knows this but they dont seem to care.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
So after using the files from your zip file @stooge.
I managed to get tech2win and vx manager to install and run under WINE, but damned if i could get gds2 and mdi manager to install.

So ended up compiling wine-6.5 as a wow64 and 32bit installation, tech2win and vx manager installed and ran, but not gds2 and mdi manager.
Not surprised at all by this due to Linux and wine.

So tried on my win10 64bit i7 desktop. Tech2win and vx manager installed and ran.
Gds2autoinstall.exe would error out with "file not found: gds2"
Spent most of the day trawling the www for howto's and different software versions.
Came across your post about new software versions, so downloaded the newer gdsautoinstall.zip and now have tech2win, vx manager, mdi manager and gds2 all working nicely, just now have to wait for the hardware to arrive and test.

Will also use the newer version and see if it will install on my Slackbox and wine.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Gds2autoinstall.exe would error out with "file not found: gds2"

In win10 the defender will nuke gds2.exe from the install because it is a known hack for gds.
If you dont add an exclusion for it defender will nuke it again, it should be in the root of the c: drive.

The gds2.exe is a autoit script compiled as an exe.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In win10 the defender will nuke gds2.exe from the install because it is a known hack for gds.
If you dont add an exclusion for it defender will nuke it again, it should be in the root of the c: drive.

The gds2.exe is a autoit script compiled as an exe.
I let Windows 10 do an update on an old laptop of mine and it nuked my modded windows 7 solitaire exe... That in itself was almost enough to immediately wipe that spyware crap from my SSD... Still thinking of doing just that :p

But it seems in need Windows to run VXDIAG :rolleyes:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I let Windows 10 do an update on an old laptop of mine and it nuked my modded windows 7 solitaire exe... That in itself was almost enough to immediately wipe that spyware crap from my SSD... Still thinking of doing just that :p

But it seems in need Windows to run VXDIAG :rolleyes:

The defender isnt spyware it is just a really crappy attempt at av.

The telemetry built into windows is a bit "tracky" but it does not even come close to the type of data google and apple collect.
Then you have crap like facebook and its data collection.

The majority of people walk around daily without realising that every where they go is tracked by their phone, places they shop, their work, friends which can be matched to other devices to work out who is who.
The frequency you visit places the apps you open the websearches you do the links you visit, emails you send, calls and messages.
If you use the device to pay for things then the things you buy can be known.

Google and apple could predict with a fair amount of accuracy where you will be in 1 month at a certain time.

Then you have facebook/social media where people willingly upload their entire life lol.

Like you said people are the products but windows 10 should be one of the last things to worry about.