Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil changes on cars in storage or driven rarely

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
It would be interesting for us all and for yourself if you analyse your oil after changing it considering it’s been used for a total of 16 miles a year :oops: though I suspect you’ve started the engine maybe every month for a warm up which is probably more punishing than driver miles;)

Doing such would give us and you really good empirical info on whether the oil actually needs to be changed or it’s completely unnecessary :cool:
Come to think of this. The Monaro GTS with a High Perfance 308 (ran 12.90 Second with street Tyres and the over lap on camshaft it to a point that it spits raw fuel out the back and idle at 1050 RPM, I built this engine back in 1976 and it was parked not for uses for normal Driving back in 1978 and has the same Engine built by me and the car has been unregestered since I say 1990 and between 1978 to 1990 driven rarely again 20 -30 miles a year, then shipped to QLD Got it Registered for two years drove it RARELY, unregistered again today unregistered since around 2002 and since 2002 to now 2024 I have given oil Changes once a year, Start the car monthly, ran the car for 15 20 minutes hen off. The Last time I started the Monro was last Sunday.
IN all these years I only used to two oil From I say 1972 to 1980 (Drag Racing Days with some steet fun I use THICK BP PLUS 50 Grage FUC.K knows why I use it (forgot) and when Magantech come out from (1990 till today) I swapped over and still using it today. Back in the 1970 a 308 running 12.90 or flat 13.00 on a quarter on street tyres was inpossible but I did this and all the Chevs and all the Ford in a Head up race I can still beat you but because the Ford used 351 and other Monaro used 350 they had to give a head start (Remember I can still beat them on a heads up) they had buckly days of winning. The Lot of them branded me a Cheat, the Monro was heavly scrutinised but they found nothing. They Cheaked everthing inclusding the Capacity of the Engine ( One cylinder X 8) Found Nothing Illegal

A HQ 308 GTS Monaro with single head lights (RARE) racing FORDS BIG CHEIF 351. HEADS UP He ran 12.5 somthing and I ran 12.6 somthing running Slicks on 4.11 gears. After this I went to Braket Racing with Street gears. (3.55) and street tyres.

To prove I still have the car today. That rare Grill.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Argggggh I'm Starting to get a erection looking at these photos again, REDLING 7500 RPM in First, Second, and Third, then top in the traps around 6500 RPM forgot how may MPH it was with 3.55 or 4.11 gears. Again Look at the Read Line on the taco and the Hurst Shifter, Arggh Arghh Arhh OOOh, Argggh.

Now back on Topic having Engine that the last time I built it was around 1978 and ran the car in the Garage or very smal drives and it still lives with good oil but never get driven anywhere an no doubt the oil has to be contamited with fuel. (HELP WHERE IS THE SPELL CHECKER GONE)

Last edited:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Argggggh I'm Starting to get a erection looking at these photos again, REDLING 7500 RPM in First, Second, and Third, then top in the traps around 6500 RPM forgot how may MPH it was with 3.55 or 4.11 gears. Again Look at the Read Line on the taco and the Hurst Shifter, Arggh Arghh Arhh OOOh, Argggh.

Now back on Topic having Engine that the last time I built it was around 1978 and ran the car in the Garage or very smal drives and it still lives with good oil but never get driven anywhere an no doubt the oil has to be contamited with fuel. (HELP WHERE IS THE SPELL CHECKER GONE)
Beautiful car mate , credit to you looking after it so well

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beautiful car, just wondering about the 7,500 rpm and no oil pressure showing ?
WHAT!!!! The Engine is off. The Red TELL TALL is left there when the Black needle goes to what ever the Max RPM has been So in simple if I Muff the Gear Change and the Engine goes to 7850 RPM the RED Needle stay at 7850 until you reset it. Notice two OIL Gauges, The Stanard one + a Mechanical one down the Bottom with a Gearbox Temperature.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
WHAT!!!! The Engine is off. The Red TELL TALL is left there when the Black needle goes to what ever the Max RPM has been So in simple if I Muff the Gear Change and the Engine goes to 7850 RPM the RED Needle stay at 7850 until you reset it. Notice two OIL Gauges, The Stanard one + a Mechanical one down the Bottom with a Gearbox Temperature.
Yep my mistake not looking close enough

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
I have found that you can keep the oil in the the Boat start it and run for 10 or so minutes same as the Cars and have
no problems when taking then on a trip so In my idea as lone it has oil better than none which has happed
rebuilt a 292 replaced just the piston on # 1 cylinder and the rings on all others 10,00kms
and I have found the oil in this engine all ok start it every 3 months or so and the Boat help run it
till the next service every 50 hours but that can be 3 years I don`t see a problem will this

and the

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
From I say 1972 to 1980 (Drag Racing Days with some steet fun I use THICK BP PLUS 50
You mean BP Coarse 50? That was a common oil used in race engines running on methanol in the '70's. BP Coarse Plus was the street performance multigrade oil by memory was a 25w50.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think it was "Corse" rather than "Coarse", it used to tweak my sense of incorrectitude that someone had let it get as far as label printing without running a spell-checker over the proposed brand name. :)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I once had a VR commodore come into work, my boss said the guy must hand clean the underside.
You're not alone.
Our VR is the most reliable car i ever had. Had it for 30 years now but I have to admit I have neglected it in the last few years. Its out side no Garage, no Carport, no nothing, Had Quality Car Covers that cost me $400 but I found they damaged the paint and left off now. Maybe the Expensive car covers that had a Cheap Supercheap car cover over it was the problem. To many car covers, I bought the Cheap one to protect the Expensive one but it backfired as the paint lost it shine and looks freckled on the roof bonnet and boot. Mainly the bonnet and roof was the worst. Spend a day trying to get the shine back but I 60% failed.
Yes I did take the Cover off every week or 10 days max

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You mean BP Coarse 50? That was a common oil used in race engines running on methanol in the '70's. BP Coarse Plus was the street performance multigrade oil by memory was a 25w50.
If I'm correct BP Coarse+ To many years I say thats correct BP Coarse Plus was the street performance multigrade a 25w50.

Last edited: