Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak at the bottom of the radiator

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
I have found oil leaking out of the bottom of the radiator. The oil appears red. Do I need to replace the radiator?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I assume trans fluid, look for lose fitting or line

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
I have removed the fan and found oil sitting at the bottom frame. while cleaning it, I have found oil all over the bottom part of the radiator. I have also noticed the cooling transmission line is leaking at one spot but quite small not like the stain behind the fan.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
The situation could be the oil leaking out of the cooling line which sits on top of the lower beam. The fan could blow the oil on the top of the lower beam into the lower part of the radiator. This might explain why oil found on the lower part of the radiator. Thanks Ginger Beer.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
This morning went to examine the radiator, the red oil still oozing out. Looking into the gap between the radiator and the front bit where the external transmission cooler is attached, the lower tray is quite wet. Therefore, I can confirm the fluid is leaking out of the bottom of the radiator. The transmission cooler pipes are submersed in the two vertical coolant tubes on both side of the radiator. The inlet cooler goes into the right top and comes out the bottom. An external cooler pipe carries the fluid to the left bottom vertical coolant tube. The cooler fluid than comes out of the top and to be carried to the external cooler at the front. The cooler fluid finally comes out of the external cooler and returns back to the transmission box. It really took me a while to figure out the design by Holden.
One of the cooler tubes inside the radiator is leaking and the horizontal tubes carrying the coolant between the two vertical tubes are also leaking as well, which results in oil leaking out to the bottom of the radiator. I will have to replace the radiator to resolve the problem. Any suggestion about which radiator to buy. I have gone through a couple of them on eBay. the cheaper one is around $180 but the more expansive one is $450. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This morning went to examine the radiator, the red oil still oozing out. Looking into the gap between the radiator and the front bit where the external transmission cooler is attached, the lower tray is quite wet. Therefore, I can confirm the fluid is leaking out of the bottom of the radiator. The transmission cooler pipes are submersed in the two vertical coolant tubes on both side of the radiator. The inlet cooler goes into the right top and comes out the bottom. An external cooler pipe carries the fluid to the left bottom vertical coolant tube. The cooler fluid than comes out of the top and to be carried to the external cooler at the front. The cooler fluid finally comes out of the external cooler and returns back to the transmission box. It really took me a while to figure out the design by Holden.
One of the cooler tubes inside the radiator is leaking and the horizontal tubes carrying the coolant between the two vertical tubes are also leaking as well, which results in oil leaking out to the bottom of the radiator. I will have to replace the radiator to resolve the problem. Any suggestion about which radiator to buy. I have gone through a couple of them on eBay. the cheaper one is around $180 but the more expansive one is $450. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
I've had 2 new radiators since 2013. I put a 3rd one in last Jan. I stuffed the second one up. I can repair it. Paid $185.00 for the 1st one. 2nd one $230.00 2018. 3rd one $80.00 of ebay Jan 2023.

Next one that goes in will be the repaired 2nd one?

I got about 5 years out of the 1st one. Would of got more than 5 yrs out of 2nd one, if l hadn't stuffed it up. The core is undamaged. Just a couple cuts in the frame.

No idea what l'll get out of the ebay one?

Good luck with your choice of radiator suppler?

Here's a link to the ebay one l got. Gone up in price nearly $40.00 though.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
Hi Lex,

Thanks for the response and the recap of your journey with the radiator. The one I have ordered is about $132 which I think pretty similar to the one you've recommended. Hopefully no drama for my first attempt to replace the radiator.

Reactions: Lex

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
Grab the Adrad radiator on eBay for your vehicles. I've found they last forever and a day if you maintain your cooling system regularly.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
i agree. Before I hook up the two radiator hoses, I will flush the coolant in the engine block and heater core and give the overflow bottle a thorough clean. With the new radiator, I am able to monitor the cooling system more precisely, such as the contamination by the leaking transmission fluid in the system. BTW, I will top up the lost half a litre tranny fluid due to the radiator replacement. Wii see how long this one is going to last.