Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Leak behind harmonic balancer

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
Hi guys please see attached video of an oil leak after the front crank seal was replaced. Do you think the mechanic stuffed it up? It's pretty bad .There is always a puddle after a days driving. Is there anywhere else it can leak from?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did he supply the seal? If yes then take it back. Sometimes seals can be faulty. That is assuming he greased the seal lip prior to fit the HB.

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
No, I got the seal from Holden and gave it to him. He did say he ran into difficulty removing the harmonic balancer. I wonder if anything was stuffed up. What's the best way to approach this so that he doesn't say it's not his fault. Just need it fixed as he was the last person to touch that area.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's bad, the seal is either broken or he forgot to put a new one in....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Since you supplied the part he could say too bad. If i was approaching the bloke i would drop by his workshop and act like you don't know where the oil is leaking from. Say something like hey mate there seems to be oil leaking not sure why since you fitted a new seal. Don't go in guns blazing expecting him to wear it, don't let him get on the defensive even if it is his fault. Be calm and see if he will be sympathetic to your case.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Wondering are the seals know to have sealing issues after fitting.
How long after fitting did you notice the leak and do you have a payment receipt.

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
Wondering are the seals know to have sealing issues after fitting.
How long after fitting did you notice the leak and do you have a payment receipt.
Yes I do have all the receipts and invoices. The car got repaired about 6 weeks ago and but then I didn't drive it for 5 weeks and started driving this week and noticed it.