Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Oil Oil Oil!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
HPR-15 in mine!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
penrite syn is not fully synthetic, but group III mineral oil. Just for your information.

Just use a quality oil, not cheap and not Castrol. 10w50 is fine, realistically a minimum. Most people who change to quality 20w50 say their engine is quieter at startup. Consider quality oil offers boundary lubrication at startup before you reach operating pressure- and dont go driving hard untill its warm please. The difference- you can create a higher shear resistance/ load caryying ability in a higher weight oil, and the closer the numbers, the less the oil relies on polymers to meet the high temp figure. These polymers are generally the first part of the oil to wear first, and dont offer any additional lubricity.

I'm using 25w60, like a few people I know in an ecotec- which is well known for upper cylinder noise, and it is quieter in startup than ever before (except for the starter motor bearing ****ting itself) which has been replicated in a couple of Gen III's. So low temp weight isnt the entire story.

I would consider, more than anything, something that is rated S_ and C_ (ie for diesel use as well) as this simply means it is a high detergent oil, and i would say more likely than not you have some carbon build up in oil galleries and lifters that may be contributing to the noise, unless you have specifically removed this build up by using high detergent oil or additive or mechanical means (removing and cleaning)

Just for some thought......geez i can talk a lot!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Oil is supposed to clean carbon deposits from the motor. It is just that some do it better than others.

Paradox my preference for your SS would be something in the order of 20w50, absolutly no lower than 15w40. If you go for Penrite their reccommendation is 15w60 (HPR15) which would also be fine.

If you looked at PM oils I would look at either the 20w50 or 25w60.

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY SS 5.7 A4, '94 VR 5.0L M5
Since I got my 5l 18 mths ago ive used 3 different oils - Castrol Edge street machine 25w60, Shell Helix Plus (the blue one) 20w50, and Penreite HPR 15w60 semi synth.
Wasnt happy with the castrol, it seemed to idle a bit rougher than what came in it when I got it.

Next was the Shell, was good but for some reason I just didnt feel comfortable with it in my engine, there was a leak from somewhere with this too.

Penrite HPR 15 Semi Synth - no noises on startup (in a 320k engine), no odd sounds when warm, and didnt leak at all (even though its a 15weight like the shell). Went well when my car went to a skid pan day where the revs didnt drop below 4k very often. :p

Doing another change today, using the Penrite Stuff. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Just_a_stocker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP exe
Penzoil or Penrite for high performance engine, actually worked ok in the VN when I had it.

thats the only time i ever noticed a big difference as for other times i now own a VP exe and just use shell Helix

vr-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
i use valvoline xld premium 20w50 great oil. never use engine cleaner bad news got caught once went from using a little oil to lots 2ltrs per 5000klm in a bluebird.

m3taL

For what its worth.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
88` S1 VN, 5spd & 94' VR Wagon
Doing mine on the Weekend, iv been using BP-Visco 5000 Sinthetic dunno why just got it once i guess....

might use this Penrite HPR 15 Semi Synth stuff and see how she go's.. got a small leak with the thinner BP stuff so w'll see if that go's in the process.

Cheers