Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil serperator/ Catch can

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do the mighty mouse catch cans vent to atmosphere? or do they make a plumb back version as well?

If my understanding is correct the mighty mouse system works like a normal closed PCV system until it pressurises and then it will vent to atmo.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
If my understanding is correct the mighty mouse system works like a normal closed PCV system until it pressurises and then it will vent to atmo.
Off the shelf this is how they work. But you can get parts to plumb back or dump straight into something else when full. Definitely possible to not have the vent at all making it less det(f)ectable but I think I'll just go for that.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
got my crank breather apart at the moment and yea its pretty simple just a short maze for air to travel thru and if oil gathers it drains back into valley (may even add some steel scourer pad in there to help keep oil in engine), making mine more blower friendly ive increased the flow of mine thru and out of the engine so it also slows the airspeed down as to not carry as much oil mist and ill be venting thru a catch can to intake between filter and TB to get a slight vacuum and it will be the same at WOT as if it were hooked up to behind TB but this time no big vacuum to suck heaps of oil thru on decel, ill also be venting both rocker covers thru another catch can then to intake also as they normally are

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I understood some of those words.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Think of it as 'recommended for forced induction.'

I'd go so far as to say a catch can is recommend on any engine but more so on a boosted one.

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
Interesting read and thanks all for the good input. I note the Flashlube catch Can Pro doesn't get a mention. Given easy availability here in Oz I though it may have.
Any reason - good/bad/ugly?
TIA

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting read and thanks all for the good input. I note the Flashlube catch Can Pro doesn't get a mention. Given easy availability here in Oz I though it may have.
Any reason - good/bad/ugly?
TIA

It has been in other catch can threads and IIRC one of the members has actually fitted one.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'd go so far as to say a catch can is recommend on any engine but more so on a boosted one.

I was just pointing out that 07GTS was also planning on venting both rocker covers to a separate catch can due to the blow by caused by forced induction.